Villages in their hundreds
Villages
Bungay watermill [John Neville]
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Bungay

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.824-828.


Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BUNGAY, consisting of the parishes of Holy Trinity and St. Mary, is a market town on the borders of Norfolk, a polling-place for the Eastern division of the county, and station on the Waveney Valley branch of the Great Eastern railway: it is 113 miles from London by rail, 14 south-east from Norwich by road, 30 north-east from Ipswich, 40 north-east-by-east from Bury St. Edmunds, 20 south-west from Yarmouth, 16 west from Lowestoft and 6 from Beccles, in Wangford hundred and union. Beccles and Bungay county court district, Wangford rural deeanery, Suffolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese.

Bungay is pleasantly situated on the river Waveney, which is navigable up to this town, and by means of it a trade is carried on in corn, malt, flour, coal and lime. The two county bridges over the river are modern erections: the one at the foot of Earsham street is a single brick arch, and that at the foot of Bridge street, originally of wood, was replaced by an iron structure in 1880. The principal streets, leading to Norwich. Yarmoouth, Bury and Ipswich, are broad and well-paved, and contain many good houses and shops.

The town is lighted with gas; and the inhabitants are amply supplied with excellent water from the numerous springs with which the town and its neighbourhood abound. The houses have mostly been erected since 1668, when nearly the whole town was destroyed by fire. The expenses of lighting and paving are defrayed out of town funds, the rents of which amount to about 400 yearly; the surplus is partly applied to charitable purposes, but chiefly to general improvements in the town.

Bungay contains two churches. St. Mary, formerly the chapel of a Benedictine monastery, the ruins of which form a pleasing object at the east end, is a flint and stone edifice, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave and aisles (without chancel) and square tower with four crocketed pinnacles, a peal of 8 bells and a clock: the tower was repaired, and the whole fabric restored at a cost of 3,000 in 1879: the seats are entiely free and unappropriated: the organ has been thorouhly restored at a cost of 140: there are five stained windows inthe north aisle, also two memorial stained windows, one to the Mann fanily at the east end of the north aisle, and one over that portion of the nave used as a chancel in memory of Lois Camell, an old parishioner. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 200 and house, in the gift of the Church Patronage Society and held since 1881 by the Rev. Trenham King Weatherhead LL.B. of St. John's College, Cambridge.

The church of the Holy Trinity is a very ancient structure, supposed to have been built in the eleventh century; it is built of rubble and faced on the south side with flints, and consists of nave and aisles (without chancel), with round tower, on the top of which are battlements, and contains several shields bearing the arms of Thomas de Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk, and son of Edward the First, and the Montacute, Bigod, Beauchamp, and other families; and a brass of Margaret Dillinger, who was prioress here, and a monument to the Rev. Thomas Wilson, who died 1774. The register dates from the year 1557. The living is a vicarage, yearly tithe rent charge 256 with residence and 10 acres of glebe lands, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1834 by the Rev. Thomas Collyer M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who is also rector of and resides at Gislingham; the Rev. James Greenall M.A. of Tribity College, Dublin, has been curate in charge since 1874.

Here is a Catholic chapel dedicated to St. Edmund, in St. Mary's street, also a Baptist chapel in Neatgate street, a Congregational in Upper Olland street, a Primitive Methodist in South End road and a Wesleyan in Trinity street.

The Cemetary of Bungay Trinity contains two brick mortuary chapels and covers an area of two acresl it is situated at the south end of the town and is under the management of a Burial Board of 9 members.

The charities of the town, distributed to the poor, amount to about 62 8s. yearly (33 8s. St. Mary's) (20 Holt Tribity), besides which Lord Northampton's charity consists of an annuity of 26 for each parish, generally granted to decayed tradesmen or widows of same. There are several almshouses in different parts of the town, six having been founded in 1577 by Christine Wharton; those founded by Thomas Popson M.A. in 1592, consist of six rooms for widows only: there are also the Town almshouses of twelve rooms, and in 1848 Mrs. Eliza Dreyer founded and endowed widows' homes for five persons.

Here are several clothing societies, a lying-in charity, and a dispensary.

Here was formerly a theatre which has been converted into a Corn Hall, but little busines is done. The Market Place, in the centre of the town, stands on gently rising ground and formerly contained two crosses, but has now only one, an octagonal building, with dome-shaped roof, on the top of which, standing on a pedestal, is a handsome full-length figure of Justice, holding the scales in the left hand and a gildred sword in the right hand. The market day is Thursday.

Bungay is the headquarters of the F Company 2nd Volunteer Battaion Norfolk Regiment.

At Ditchingham, on the Norfolk side, near the town, is a large silk manufactory belonging to Messrs. Grout and Co. of Norwich, who employ a large number of females. In the town are the extensive printing offices and stereotype and electrotype foundry of Messrs. Clay, Sons and Taylor, of Bread Street hill, Londonm formerly belongong to Messrs. Childs and Son, established by their predecessors in 1795; also flour mills, steam saw mills, iron foundry and malt houses.

Northward of the town is an extensive common, of 408 acres, almost surrounded by the Waveney; and on the south side of the town is Stow Fen, containing 68 acres, and under the management of the Fen reeves elected by the owners.

At the period of the Norman survey Bungay was divided into several manors and estates, which were retained by the Conqueror in his own hands under the stewardship of William de Noiers; they are now the property of the Duke of Norfolk, having descended through a long line of ancestors from Roger Bigod, to whom they were granted by the Conqueror soon after the Domesday Book was compiled. Reginald de Bungay was Lord Mayor of London in the year 1241-1242.

Part of the castle is still standing: it was built on an eminence by the Bigods, Earls of Norfolk, and in the reign of Stephen it seems to have been considered impregnable by Hugh Bigod, to whom the following rhyme, part of an old ballad, is attributed:—

The ruins are interesting and of some extent, and are pleasantly situated, overlooking the Waveney valley.

On the high lands, about a mile from the town, on the Flixton road, is Upland Hall, the residence of William Hartcup esq. surrounded by grounds well laid out.

In the vicinity of the town are several extensive and picturesque ruins of ancient abbeys and castle, which are descrived in this work under the headings of the parishes on which they are situate.

The principal landowners are Wm. Hartcup esq. Clement Taylor esq, Lord Waveney and Sir Edward C. Kerrison bart.

The area of St. Mary is about 20 acres; rateable value, 4,611 5s.; of Holy Trinity, 1,934 acres, rateable value. 6,096: the population in 1881 of St. Mary was 1,763, and of Holy Trinity 1816; total, 3,579.

Official Establishments, Local Institutions, &c.

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Insurance & Annuity Office.—George Watts, postmaster

ARRIVALS.

Lines of Road & chief Places from
      which Mails are Received.
Arrivals Delivery com-
mences at
London & all parts..........
London day mail.............
Scole & Harleston..........

6.5 a.m.
1.15 p.m.
6.5 a.m.

6.45 a.m.
2      p.m.
6.45 p.m.

DISPATCH.

Lines of Road & chief Places of Destination Box closes
London day mail..........................
London & all parts.......................
Scole & Harleston.......................

9.15 a.m.
6.15 p.m.
6.15 p.m.

Foot posts to Ditchingham, Broome, Ellingham, Kirby Cane, Stockton, Bedingham, Hedenham, Woodton, Topcroft, Earsham, in Norfolk; Mettingham, Ilketshall St. Andrew, Ilketshall St, John, Ilketshall St. Lawrence, Ilketshall St. Margaret, Flixton, South Elmham St. Peter & South Elmham St. Michael, in Suffolk.

Money orders are granted & paid from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; on saturdays until 8 p.m.; telegraph office opened from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. week days, & from 8 to 10 a.m. on sundays.

WALL LETTER BOX, St. Mary's street, cleared at 6 p.m. week days only

WALL LETTER BOX (Falcon Bridge), cleared at 5.15 week days only

COUNTY MAGISTRATES

FOR BUNGAY PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION

R. N. Cartwright esq. Flixton, near Bungay
Charles F. H. Collison esq. Mettingham castle
Richard Day French esq. St. John's hall. Bungay
Arthur Henry Jenney esq. Ditchingham lodge, Bungay

Petty Sessions are held at the Corn Hall, every alternate thursday. The following places are within the Petty Sessional division:—Bungay St. Mary, Bungay Trinity, Flixton, Homersfield, Mettingham, Ilketshall St. Andrew, Ilketshall St. John, Ilketshall St. Lawrence, Ilketshall St. Margaret, South Elmham All Saints-cum-St, Nicholas, South Elmham St George or St. Cross, South Elmham St. Margaret, South Elmham St. Michael, South Elmham St. Peter

INSURANCE AGENTS.

Alliance Fire & LIfe, F. W. Tewson, Broad street
Atlas, James Earl, Earsham street
Caledonian, J. Cocks, Trinity villa
County Fire, Henry Stone. St. Mary street
Guardian (life only), Frederick W. Tewson, Bridge street
London Assurance, E. P. Norton, Earsham street
London & General Plate Glass, J. Cocks, Trinity villa
National Provident, William Clutton, Bank
Norwich Union Fire, Hartcup & Sons, Broad street;

Norwich Accidental & Norwich Hailstorm, F. W. Tewson, Broad street
Phnix Fire, F. W, Yewson, Broad street
Royal Farmers' & General, T. Smith, Market place
Sun Fire, George Baker, Trinity st; Wm. Clutton, Bank

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

Cemetary, South End road, J. D, Botwright, clerk to the burial board
Corn Hall, Broad street, John Watts, proprietor
County Court Office, Trinity Street; Sir Francis Rofroxburgh Q.C., J.P. judge; E. B. Fiske, registrar; E. Muskett, high bailiff. The sittings of the County Court are held here & at Beccles, in alternate months. The following places are within the County Court distrct:—Aldeby, Barsham, Beccles, Bedingham. Broome, Bungay St. Mary, Bungay Trinity, Burgh St. Peter, Chedgrave, Ditchingham, Ellingham, Ellough, Geldeston, Gillingham All Saints, Gillingham St. Mary, Haddiscoe, Hales, Heckingham. Hedenham, Henstead-with-Hulver Street, Iketshall St. Andrew, Iketshall St. Margaret, Kirby Cane, Kirkstead [sic.Kirstead]. Loddon, Mettingham. Mundham, North Cove, Norton Subcourse, Raveningham, Redisham, Ringsfield, Seething, Shadingfield, Shipmeadow, [Sisland], Sotterley, Stockton, Thorpe-next-Haddiscoe, Thurlton, Thwaite, Toft Monks, Topcroft, Weston, Wheatacre All Saints, Willingham, Woodton, Worlngham
County Police Station, Priory Lane, George Forster, inspector; the local force consists of the inspector & one constable
Fire Engine Station, Cross street
Norfolk Regiment (F company, 2nd Volunteer battalion), Armoury, Nethergate street; Capt. Herbert James Hartcup.commandant; Rev. H/ M. Marshall M.A. acting-chaplain; Sergt-Maj. James Frew, drill instructor
Stamp Office, Earsham street
St. Mary's Parish Room & Mission Hall, Broad street

PUBLIC OFFICERS.

Assistant Overseer, James Earl, Earsham stree
Clerk to the Burial Board, J. D. Botwright, Up. Olland st
Clerk to the Fen Reeves, Henry Rushmer, Wingfield street
Collector of Poor's Rate, Robert Earl. Earsham street
Collector of Taxes, William Walesby, Earsham street
Government Inspector Cattle for the Bungay District. C. L. Grimmer, M.R.C.V.S. Upper Olland street
Inspector of Nuisances, John Owem Rees, Flixton road
Inland Revenue Officer, William C. Binfield, Trinity street
Registrar of Births & Deaths for the Bungay Sub-District, Registrar of Marriages for the Wangford Dostrict & Relieving Officer & School Attendance & Vaccination Officer for Bungay District, Hezekiah Stammers, St. John's road
School (Board) Attendance Officer, Jas. Earl, Earsham st
School (Private) Attendance Offcier, Hezekiah Stammers, St. John's road
Medical Officer of Health (Wangford Union) Thomas Garneys, Trinity street
Sheriff's Officer, James Earl, Earsham street
Town Clerk, William Clutten, Broad street
Town Surveyors, Rovt. Earl, Earsham street (St. Mary's); Henry Rushmer, Wingfield street (Trinity)
Town Crier, James Revell, Back lane

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with Times of Services.

Holy Trinity, Trinity street, Rev. Thomas Collyer M.A. vicar; Rev. James Greenall M.A. curate in charge, 8 & 10.45 a.m. 3 & 7 p.m.; wed/ & fri. 10.30 a.m. saints' days 8 a.m.
St. Mary's/ St. Mary street, Rev. Trenham Kng Weatherhead LL.B. vicar, 10.45 a.m. & 7 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.


St. Edmund's Catholic, St. Mary's road, Rev. Joseph Romnald Morgan O.S.B. priest, 10.30 a.m. & 3.30 p.m. in winter & 6.30 p.m. in summer; daily 8.15 a.m.; fri. 7.15 p.m.
Baptist, Neatgate street, Rev. Joseph Brand, minister, 10.30 a.m. 2.40 & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.15 p.m.
Congregational, Upper Olland street, Rev. Robert Primitive Methodist, South End road, Rev. George Wood, ministerm 11 a.m. 2.30 & 6.30 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m.
Wesleyan, Trinity street, 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; ,pom. & wed. 7.30 p.m.

SCHOOLS.

The Grammar school founded in 1592 is mow regulated by a scheme of the Ebdowd Schools Commission issued in 1879: in 1863 an excellent school room was built; the Rev. George William Jones M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, is the head master: the present number of boys in 27

A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1875 for the United District of Bungay Holy Trinit, Bungay St. Mary & Mettingham: Edmund Palmer Norton, Earsham street, clerk to the Board; James Earl. Earsham street, attendance officer; the Board meets at rooms in the Market place every alternate friday at 8.0 p.m.
Board Schools, erected in 1877, for boys, girls & infants, with class-rooms to hold about 600 scholarsl average attendance, boys 162, girls 139, infants 113; George West, master; Miss Elizaneth Julian, mistress; Miss A. Greene, infants' mistress

Catholic School (mixed), Miss Ellen Kirby, mistress, average attendance 42

RAILWAY STATION.

Waveney Valley Railway (branch of Great Eastern), Norman Seeley, station master
An omnibus from the 'King's Head,' to & from the station to meet every train

CARRIERS.

Gardiner's van, Norwich, daily, at 7 a.m.; return from 'Lamb,' Haymarket, at 4.30 p.m.
Mail cart to Scole every evening at 6.45
Laws, cart to , mon. wed. & fri. at 23; returns at 6.30 p.m.

WATER CONVEYANCE.

Beccles amd Lowestoft when required, from the Staith; George Henry Butcher (exors. of), proprietor

            PRIVATE RESIDENTS. Durrant Mrs, Trinity street Wackham John, Waveney terrace
Aggas Miss, Priory lane Earl James, Earsham street Read Miss, Trinity street
Allsopp The Misses, Earsham street Farrel John William, Prospect place Reynolds James John, Prospect place
Asten John, Flixton road Farrow Mrs. 3 Waveney terrace Reynolds The Misses, Trinity street
Baker Miss, Trinity street Garneys Thomas, Trinity street house Rope Robert, South End road
Barrow The Misses, St. John's road Greenall Rev. James M.A. [curate in Rushmer Mrs. Wingfield street
Bedwell Mrs. Trinity street charge], Trinity vicarage, Upper Ol- Saunders Mrs. & The Misses, Flixton rd
Bellman Henry, Trinity street       land street Scott Samuel, Waveney ho. Earsham st
Bidwell Mark, Flixton road Grove Edward, Staithe road Skinner James, Prospect place
Boatwright Ambrose, 2 Waveney ter Hartcup Herbert James, The Bank ho       Smith Austen, St. John's road
Botwright Horace Cullum, Cambridge Hartcup William, Upland hall Smith Frederic, Earsham street
      house, Broad street Hartcup William Thos. The Lowlands Smith Henry, Earsham street
Brand Rev. Jsph, [Baptist], Neatgate st     Hamblen Edward Thos. South, End rd Smith John Henry, Trinity street
Butcher Charles Staithe Jackson William, Earsham street Smith Miss, Prospect place
Butcher Henry Frederick, Staithe Johnson Charles, Outney cottage Smith Mrs. Earsham street
Butcher Mrs. Broad street James Rev. George William M.A. [head       Smith Robert, Lower Olland street
Calver John, Flixton road       master of the Grammar school], Ear- Smith Samuel, Earsham street
Chase Henry, Trinity street       sham street Tewson Frederick William, Broad st
Chase Mrs. E. Lower Olland street King Miss, Broad street Walker Miss, Broad street
Chevallier Francis T. The Oaklands Mann Robert Campbell, Wainford ho Walker William David, Lower Olland st
      Flixton road Mann William Horace, Wainford house Weatherhead Rev. Trenham Ling LL.B.
Clarke The Misses, Earsham street Marsden Rufus Marmaduke, Henham St. Mary's vicarage, Trinity street
Clutton William, Beccles road       villa, Bardolfe road Webb John Raphael, Rose hall
Coats Mrs. Bridge street Minns Charles, Flixton road Willifer Rev. Robert Merridew [Con
Cocks Jeremiah, Trinity villa Mitchell Geo. Linden ho. Earsham st       gregational], Upper Olland street
Cullingford Mrs. Broad street Morgan Rev. Joseph Reginald O.S.B. Womersley Joshua King, Earsham road
Currie John Legge, Trinity hall       [Catholic], St. Mary's street Wood Rev. George [Primitive Metho-
Currie Mrs. Trinity street Norton Edmund Palmer, Bridge house       dist], St. John's road
Darby Miss, South End road       Earsham street  

                     COMMERCIAL, Bungay Gas & Coke Works (executors of the late Thomas
Adams George, tailor & woollen draper, St. Mary's street           Hill Methven); office, Upper Olland street
Adkin Frederick, tailor & draper, Market place Bunn William, marine store dealer, St. Mary;s street
Adkin Martha (Mrs.), milliner, Marlet place Burrows John, Butchers' Arms, Popson street
Adkin William, gun maker & hunsmith, Market place Burton William, grocer & tea dealer, Market place
Alborough John, fishmonger, Bridge street Butcher George Henry (exors. of), coal, lime & general
Alexander Benjamin, hay dealer, Upper Olland street    merchant, Staithe
Alexander William, baker & confectioner, Bridge street Butcher James, marine store dealer, Market place
Appleton Alfred William, cowkeeper, Broad street Cameron David (exors. of), iron founder, & agricultural
Ashby Jn. Sl. stationer, printer & bookseller, St. Mary's st    implement makers & agents, Earsham street
Ashby Maria (Miss), dress maker, Upper Olland street Candler Edgar, Ling's Head family & commercial hotel
Barber William, baker & corn dealer, Bridge street    posting house, Market Place
Barker Walter, pork butcherm St. Mary's street Carley Richard, watch & clock maker, Earsham street
Bayes William Ambrose, farm bailiff to Clement Taylor esq. Catchpole James, grocer, Bridge street
Manor House farm Cattermole Harriet (Mtrs.), fancy repository, Bridge street
Bedingfield James, shopleeper, Lower Olland street Cattermole R. stationer &c, & fancy repository, Bridge street
Bedingfield James,jun. pork butcher, Lower Olland street Cemetary (J. D. Botwright, clerk to the Burial Board)
Bedwell Charlesm bricklayer, Gas House lane Chapman John, fishmonger &c. St. Mary's street
Bedwell John, painter, plumber &c. Market place Chapman Sarah (Mrs.) wardrobe dealer, Upper Olland st
Bedwell John (Mrs.), fancy repository, Market place Chase George William, butcher, Trinity street
Bellman Hy, solicitor & clerk to the magistrates, Trinity street       Chenery Frederick, watch maker & jeweller, St. Mary's street
Billings Thomas, umbrella maker, Earsham street Chevallier Francis Temple, farmer. The Oaklands. Flixton st
Binfield William Cullum, inland revenue office,r Trinity st Chilvers Charles, pork butcher, Bridge street
Bircham Michael, Watch House, Beccles road Chilver Rovert, fishmonger, Bridge street
Bird Henry, cowkeeper, Castle orchard Clarke Amelia (Mrs.), greengrocer, Earsham street
Bloomfiekd William, coal dealer, Bridge street Clarke William, tailor, Earsham street
Blowright John Debby, builder, contractor & buildings CLAY & TAYLOR, printers, streotypers & electrotypers;
   surveyor & clerk to the burial board, Upper Olland st    London address, R. Clay, Sons & Taylor, Bread st hill e.c.
Botwright William Thomas, tailor & draper, Earsham street Clay Edward, butcher, Bridge street
Bowes George, baker, Broad street Cleveland James M.R.C.V.S. veterinary surgeon, Broad st
Bradnum Mary Ann (Mrs.), greengrocer, Bridge street Cocks & Son, grocer & linen drapers, Earsham, street
Branford Janes, bicklayer & builder, Castle lane Cocks J. corn & flour dealer, Neatgate street
Brighton James, bricklayer & builder, Castle lane Cocks William, grocer, tea dealer & provision merchant
Brown Harry, White Horse, Staithe    Market place
Brown James M. (Mrs.) dress maker, Neatgate street Codling George, Cherry Tree, Outney road
Brown William, watch maker & jewelller, St. Mary's street Coe Isaac, beer retailer, Beccles Road
Browne Robert (Mrs.), boarding & day school. Trinity street Colborne Esther (Miss), fancy repository, St. Mary's street
Bruce Robert, White Lion Colby John, hairdresser, Earsham street
Bull & Draper, furniture brokers & dealers, Bridge street Corn Hall (John Watts, proprietor), Broad street
Bull Lewis, farmer & brick & tile maker, Flixton road Cornaby Celia (Mrs.), leather seller, Bridge street


Cornaby Henry, shoe maker, Lower Olland street Legood Samuel, baker, Bridge street
Cornish Charles, chimney sweeper, Broad street Ling Isaac, fishmonger, Upper Olland street
County Court Office (R. B. Fiske, registrar; E. Muskett, Ling Robert, greengrocer, Bridge street
   high bailiff), Trinity street London & Provinsial Bank Limited, (Arthur J. Young,
Crowfoot & Co. brewers, Ditchingham brewery    manager), Broad street; open on mondays from 11 to 4,
Cuddon Andrew, coach maker, St. John street    on thursdays from 11 to 5 only; draw on Glyn, Mills,
Cuddon Sarah (Miss), dress maker, Wingfield street    Currie & Co, London e.c.
Cunningham Daniel, cowkeeper, Nethergate street Lord Osborne, shopkeeper & painter, St. John's road
Currie John Legge, surgeon L.R.C.P.Lond. Trinity hall Mann R. & W. maltsters, corn & coal merchants, agents for
Dawdy Edward, farmer, Upland Hall farm    Barclay,Perkins & Co.'s brown & double sstout, Wainford
Debenham Eliza (Miss), dress maker, Earsham street    Staithe
Dispnsary (Joshua King Womersley, hon. surgeon), March Alfred, shopkeeper, Popson street
   Earsham street Marston Charles, miller, corn & hop merchant & carter,
Dixon William, wheelwright & smith & livery stable keeper,    Bungay Water Mill
   Upper Olland street Martin George, builder &c. Scales street
Dixon William (Mrs.), dress maker, Upper Olland street Matyin Harry, Fleece commrcial hotel, St.
Doe Helen (Miss), ladies' school, 5 Waveney terrace Mary's street
Downes William, painter &c. Broad street Mitchell's Library (Geo. Mitchell, proprietor), Earsham st
Drake Daniel. mineral water manufacture (Charles Mitchell George, agent for Stewart, Patterson, Finch &
   William Browne, manager), Bardolfe road; & at    Co.'s ales & stout, Market place
Benedict's street, Norwich; & Clapham road, Lowestoft More & Son, grocers & provision dealers, St. Mary's street
Durrant Thomas, cowkeeper, Castle hill More Thomas, miller, corn & cake merchant, agent for
Durrant William, farmer, Three Ashes farm    Lawes' artificial manures, Wainford mills
Earl James, sheriff's officer, house & estate agent, assistant Mounder William, shoe maker, Bridge street
   overseer & school attendance officer for Bungay Myall James, Thatched House, & farmer, Flixton road
   united district school board, Earsham street Nicholls Loisa (Mrs,), boot & shoe warehouse, Market pl
Earl Robert, rate collector, Earsham street Norfolk Regiment (F co. 2nd Volunteer battallion) (Capt.
Ecclestone Hy. Scarlet, baker & confectioner, Up. Olland st    Herbert James Hartcuo, commandant; Rev. R. W.
Eggett G. beer & wine retailer & pork butcherm Earsham st    Marshall M.A. acting chaplain; Sergeant-major> Janes
Elsey Louisa (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Broad street    Frew, drill instructor); armoury, Nethergate street
Fenn William Chappell, plumber, painter &c. Earsham street Norman William Richards, Three Tuns, Market place
Fillingham Walter, tailor, Broad street Norton Edward Palmer, solicitor & clerk to the School
Flegg Elizabeth (Mrs.), pork butcher, Broad street    Board, Earsham street
Forster George, inspector of police, Police station, Priory la Nursey Mrs. & Son, curriers & leather sellers, Uper Olland st
Foulger Robert, builder & carpenter, Upper Olland street Nursey Henry, stone & monumental mason, Bridge street
Frestone George, basket maker, Upper Olland street Owles Thomas & Son, grocers & tallow chandlers, Trinity st
Frew James, serjeant-major & drill instructor of the Rifle Owles Janes, chemist & druggist, Market place
   Volunteers, The Armoury, Nethergate street Page William boot & shoe maker, Upper Olland street
Frew J. (Mrs.), manageress of the Queen's Head, Bridge st Page William, Crown, & threshing machine owner, Market pl
Gardiner Archibald, shoeing smith & carrier, Bridge street Pallant Robert, wheelrwright, Bardolfe road
Garneys Thomas,surgeon & medical officer,Wangford union, Parrington William, wine & spirit merchant, Briad street
   & certifying factory surgeon, Trinity street Porter Robert, pork butcher, Earsham street
Garwood Thomas, cowkeeper, Nethergate street Prime Alfred, tailor, Market place
Gibson Frederick, general outfitter, Market place Read John, chimney sweeper, Gas House lane
Glover Charles, basket maker, Bridge street Read William, builder, Lower Holland street
Goate Samuel Jams, grocer & draoer, Lower Olland street Read William, tailor & glover, Earsham street
GrammarSchool (Rev. George William James M.A. head Reading Room & Library (:ewis Foeman, secretary &
   mastr), Earsham street    librarian, Castle lane
Grimmer Chas. Lee M.R.C.V.S. veterinary surgeon, & Ross John Owen, inspector of nuisances, Flixton road
   vertinary inspector for the Bungay district, Up. Olland st Reere Eliza (Mrs.), Green Dragon, Bridge street
Gurneys, Birkbeck, Barclay, Buxton & Orde, bankers Reeve Frederick, shopkeeper, Lower Olland street
   (William Hartcup, manager), Broad street; open 10 to 4 Reeve Jesse, hairdress, & fancy repository, Market place
   (except thurs. 10 to 5 & sat. 10 to 1); draw on Barclay, Revell James, town crier, Back lane
   Bevan & Co. London e.c. Riches Benjamin, beer retailer, Upper Olland street
Gurney John, blacksmith, Upper Olland street William Richmond Samuel, iron founder & machinist, Broad st
Hall John, corn chandler, Bridge street Robertson Alfred Thomas, grocer & general dealer, St.
Horsey Henry, Horse & Groom, & carman, Bridge street    Mary's street
Harris Henry, plumber, painter &c. Bridge street Robertson Thomas Manby, farmer, Trinity farm
Harris J. (Mrs.), confectioner & corn chandler, Earsham st Roper Frederick, clothier, Market place
Hartcup & Sons, solicitors, Broad street Rowe Janes, cabinet marker, Upper Olland street
Hartcup Herbert Janes (firm, Hartcup & Sons), solicitor Rashmer Henry, assistant sheriff's officer, clerk to the Fen
   & commissioner to administer oaths, Broad street    Reeves, & surveyor for Bungay Trinity, Wingfield street
Hartcup William (firm. Hartcup & Sons), solicitor, com- Rust John William, timber, deal & tar merchant; steam
   missioner to administer oaths & perpetual commissioner    saw mills; dealer imn cement, slates, terra cotta ware
   Broad street    patent roofing felt & asphalte flooring, reed, hair & drain
Hartcup William Thomas (firm Hartcup & Sons), solicitor    pipes. Lower Olland street' & depots at Diss, Harleston
   & commissioner to administer oaths, Broad street    & Halesworth
Haward Eldwin & Sons, grocers & tea dealers. Earsham st Saunders Willia, general draper. Upper Olland street
Haward John, cowkeeper, Broad street Sayer Samuel, baker & confectioner, Upper Olland street
Hawes James, grocer & draper. Upper Olland street Scales George, fishmonger & dealer in game, Earsham st
Hemblen Charles, cowkeeper, Allotment road Screaton Hohn Joseph, chemist & druggist, Market place
Hood John. cowkeeper, Nethergate street Self George, farmer, Dukes bridge
Howeltt Wm. farmer, auctioneer & valuer, Stow Park farm Sillet George, beer retailer, Mile end, Beccles road
Hudson James Elliot Leopold, ironmonger, St. Mary's street Skipper Mattthias, Rose & Crown, Upper Olland street
Hunwick Edwein Hamilton, watch maker & jeweller, Broad st Smith Charlotte (Miss), small ware dealer, Bridge street
Harry James Henry, chemist & druggist, St. Mary's street Smith Frederic, solicitor, Earsham street
JacksonnHerbert George, ironmonger, Market place Smith Hohn Henry, china & glass dealer, St. Mary's street
Jay George, Chequers Inn, Bridge street Smith Samuel, solicitor, commissioner for oaths and perp-
Jay William, boot & shoe maker, Uper Olland street    petual commissioner, Earsham street
Jermy Agnes (Miss), milliner, Earsham street Smith Thomas, corn, coal & seed merchant, & maltster,
Jermy John, The Two Brewers, Neatgate street    Market place
Judge Joseph, portrait & landscape photographer, Earsham st      Smith Thomas, shopkeeper, Bridge steret
Kent Emma (Miss), cowkeeper, Nethergate street Somes Aldred, miller, &c. Upland wind & steam mills
Kent James, cowkeeper, Quaves land Spence Willaim, butcher, Lower Olland street
Kerridge Hannah (Mrs.), dyer, Flixton road Stammers Hezekiah, relieving officer & school attendance &
King George, British Oak, Bardolfe road    vaccination officer for Bungay district, and registrar of
Knowles John, beer retailer, Upper Olland street    births & deaths fro Bungay sub-district, and of mar-
Lawn William, general draper &c. Market place riages for the Wangford district, St. John's road
Laws Eliza (Mrs.), dress maker, Lower Olland street Stone Henry, saddler, &c. St. Mary's street
Laws Samuel, Ship, Lower Olland street Syrett William, Swan Inn, Market place
Laws Susan (Mrs.), Three Jolly Butchers,& carrier,Cross st Tewson Frederick William, auctioneer & valuer, estate &
Leach William, shoe maker, Bridge street    house agent, Bridge street; residence, Broad street
Leak John, baker & confectioner, Lower Olland street Thirtle & Son,, linen & woollen drapers, Market place
Leggett William, cowkeeper, Nethergate street Thrower Charles, shopkeeper, Bridge street


Tiller Charles, boot and shoe maker, Bridge street    of varous sizes let on hire, & proprietor of the Corn hall,
Tindale Kate (Miss), fancy repository, Earsham street    Broad street
Turner William, basket maker, Upper Olland street Watts Kucy (Mrs.), grocer, Earsham street
Valiant James, Angel inn, Lower Olland street Weavers & Smith, grocers, St. Mary's street
Vicary Ann (Mrs.), dress maker, Earsham street Weavers William, fishmonger, Bridge street
Walesby Emma (Miss), dress maker, Neatgate street Westgate James, cattle dealer, Boyscot land
Walesby William, saddler, pianoforte tuner, & collector Whitecup George, book & shoe maker, Bridge street
   of taxes, Earsham street White Mary Ann (Mrs.), dress maker, Broad street
Walker William David, corn, coal & cake, &c. merchant, Whiteland Augustus, Plough, & colt breaker, Wingfield st
   Bungay and Ditchingham stations; office, Earsham street             Whightman Henry, draper, hosier & silk mercer, Market pl
Wallman George, cowkeeper, Broad street Whightman & Son, clothiers & outfitters, St. Mary;s street
Ward Benjamin, marine store dealer, Upper Olland street Williamson Thomas, cowkeeper, Broad street
Ward Robert, beer retailer, Lower Olland street Womersley Joshua King, surgeon, Earsham street
Ward William, boot & shoe warehouse, St. Mary's street Woods Frederick, painter, plumber &c. St. Mary's street
Watson Walter, blacksmith, Flixton road Woods Stephen, farmer, Flixton road
Watson Mria (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Lower Olland street Woolnough Mary Ann (Miss), ladies' boarding & day
Watts George. hair dresser & ornamental hair artist, post    school, Broad street
   master, & sub distributor of stamps, Earsham street Woor Emma (Mrs.), millliner, Lower Olland street
Watts John, boot & shoe maker, bill poster; booths & tents    Woor James, boot maker, Upper Olland street


© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, County Court details only: July 2006; Full transcription, April 2010; links updated January 2011.

Villages in their hundreds
Villages alphabetic
Bungay watermill [John Neville]
Paddy's home page