BUNWELL is a parish and irregularly built village 3 miles west from Forncett station and 5 south-east from Attleborough, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, county court district of Wymondham, rural deanery of Depwade and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael, is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel and nave, with a square tower containing 6 bells. The register dates from the year 1630. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £744, with 52 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Sir R. J. Buxton bart. M.P. and held since 1882 by the Rev. Henry Dawson M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford, who resides at Torquay; the Rev. Thomas Webster Whistler B.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, is the curate in charge. The Primitive Meodists have a small chapel of red brick with white brick facings, built in 1876. The poor have £20 yearly in fuel from an allotment of 17 acres. Sir Robert J. Buxton bart. M.P., is lord of the manor and principal landowner, and the Rev. James Stoughton has a small manor called Beaucham-in-Bunwell. The soil is various; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 2,470 acres; rateable value, £4,042; the population in 1881 was 861.
POST OFFICE.Mrs. Jemima Roper, postmistress. Letters are received from Attleborough, arrive at 8.15 a.m. & dispatched at 6.30 p.m. New Buckenhamn is the nearest money order & telegraph office
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; J. Furness, Long Stratton, clerk to the Board
Board School, built 1879, for 90 children, average attendance 70; Mrs. Emma Chapman, mistress
CARRIER TO NORWICH.Geo. Glover, mon. wed. & sat
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May, 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bunwell postmill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Bunwell Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bunwell [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]