Burgh Castle Roman Site [Norfolk Archeological Trust]
Heritage information [Norfolk Heritage Trust]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Burgh Castle [now in Norfolk]

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 829.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BURGH CASTLE is a parish 4 miles north-west from Yarmouth. and 2 north from Belton station, on the navigable Waveney, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred and incorporaition of Mutford and Lothingland, county court district of Yarmouth, Lothingland rural deanery, Suffolk archdeaconry and Norfolk diocese. The church of St. Peter is a small edifice of flint with stone dressings: it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle and south porch, the latter erected as a memorial to Mrs. Nisbett, a benefactress of the parish; the church has been re-seated with open seats of carved oak, and handsome pulpit and reading desk added. The register dates from the year 1697. The living is a rectory, yearly value £400, with residence and 44 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1857 by the Rev. Thomas Henry Hawkes B.D. of New College, Oxford. Here are extensive remains of the Roman station or cavalry encampment of Garianonum, in good preservation, the ramparts still enclosing an area of more than 5 acres: it is believed to have been built about A.D. 84. About 636 a monastery was founded on the same site by Fursæus, an Irish monk, and Sigebert, King of the East Angles. Here is a manufactory of bricks and Portland cement. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late John Bowgin esq. James Hargrave Harrison esq. who is lord of the manor, and Sir Francis Boileau bart. The soil is light land; subsoil, sand and gravel.. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,496 acres; rateable value, £3,189; the population in 1881 was 518.


POST OFFICE. —Samuel Read, receiver. Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 9 a.m. & are despatched at 4.40 p.m.; on sunday at 2 p.m. The nearest money order and telegraph offices are at Yarmouth and Gorleston.

SCHOOLS: —
Parochial, built by subscription in 1836; William Clarke, master.
Bowgin's National, with master's residence,erected m 1963; the principal part of the cost of erection was borne by the late John Bowgin esq. of Southtown, Yarmouth, & it derives its principal support from legacies left by him & a Government grant; John Smith, master; Mrs. Georgina Smith, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, December 2007, with minor spelling corrections, November, 2009, and links updated September 2014.

Burgh Castle Roman Site [Norfolk Archeological Trust]
Heritage information [Norfolk Heritage Trust]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page