[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
BURGH (or BURGH-NEXT-AYLSHAM) is a village and parish on the navigable Bure, over which there is a bridge of one arch, 2 miles south-east from Aylsham station on the Great Eastern Railway (East Norfolk branch), 11 north from Norwich. in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The Church of St. Mary is in the Eary English style, and concists of chancel (restored in 1878), with north chapel, modern nave and porch (much out of repair) and Perpendicular tower containing 1 bell: the chancel of this church is one of peculiar beauty and interest, its southern side consisting on its upper and principal stage of a continuous rage of beautiful and similar lancel lights, arcaded within and absolutely simple without; while its lower stage has a continuous arcade resting upon a stone seat; on the north wall similar arcading occurs, together with a very fine Early English archway, opening into a north chapel: these were priounced upon by Sir Gilbert Scott as of the finest character, and probably of the same date with the work of St. Hugh, at Lincoln, circa 1200; the whole has been well restored and an attempt made to recover the original lenght of the chancel, chiefly through the liberality of the Rev. E. T. Yates, of Burgh Hall, the last incumbent. The register dates fom the year 1563. The living is a rectory, the tithes of which have been commuted for £255 yearly, with 12 cres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1879 by the Rev. Thomas Barnes, Scholę Cancellarii, lincoln. There is a chapel for the Primitive Methodists, which was erected in 1868. From the various urns and coins which have been found in this vicinity, it is supposed to have been a Roman station. Burgh Hall, the property of the Rev. Edmund Teller Yates M.A., J.P. is a modern building of red brick with stone dressings and occupied by C. T. Masters wsq. Mrs. Burr, who is lady of the manor, and the Rev. E. T. Yates J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is sand and loam; subsoi, chalky. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 789 acres; reateable value £1,544; the population in 1881 was 219.
Letters through Aylsham are delivered at about 8 1.m. & are dispatched from PILLAR BOX at 3.40 p.m. on weekdays only. Aylsham is the nearest money order & telegraph office
National School, Mrs. Jane Faircloth, certificated mistress
1891 Census index
Will of Stephen Barber, 1847.
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Burgh and Tuttington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Burgh watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Burgh-next-Aylsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Infomation [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page