Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854 Directory entry
Burgh St. Peter tower mill and drainage mill; and Wheatacre postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Burgh St. Peter Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Burgh St. Peter (Wheatacre Burgh) [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Wheatacre All Saints

Norfolk - Burgh St. Peter

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.263-264.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © Paul Madgett

BURGH ST. PETER (or WHEATACRE BURGH) is a village and parish on the river Waveney, and on the borders of Suffolk, 6½ miles north-east from Beccles, 2½ east-south-east from Aldeby station, 2½ north-east from Carlton Colville station by ferry and 12 south-west from Yarmouth, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay and Beccles county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of flint with stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, with oak roof covered with thatch, and brick tower containing 1 bell: the church was thoroughly restored, new windows inserted and re-seated in 1880: near the church are ruins of the Priory of St. John. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £374 yearly, with 15 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of and held since 1872 by the Rev. William Boycott B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge; £3 is paid yearly to the rector of Toft Monks. Here is a small Primitive Methodist chapel; also a Wesleyan chapel with Sunday school, enlarged in 1835, and capable of seating about 200 people. The fuel allotment consists of 13 acres, let on average for £29 yearly, which is distributed in coals among the poor. The greater part of the land belongs to the trusteestrustees of the late R.H. Gurney, esq. and Captain C.C. Boycott; there are also other smaller proprietors. The soil is mixed, part being strong and the other part light land; subsoil, clay and light sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and hay. The area is 1,990 acres, about 1,100 acres being marsh land; the rateable value is £2,837; and the population in 1881 was 359.

______

Letters by foot post arrive from Beccles at 11.30 a.m. WALL POST cleared at 2.45 p.m. Beccles is the nearest money order office.

SCHOOLS:-

[DIRECTORY]:

© Transcribed by Paul Madgett for E.C.Apling, January 1999; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854 Directory entry
Burgh St. Peter tower mill and drainage mill; and Wheatacre postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Burgh St. Peter Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Burgh St. Peter (Wheatacre Burgh) [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Wheatacre All Saints