1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK[
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on North Burlingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Burlingham South (or Burlingham St. Edmunds) and Burlingham St. Peter
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - North Burlingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 264.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

NORTH BURLINGHAM (or BURLINGHAM ST. ANDREW is a parish and scattered village 8 miles east from Norwich and 3 north-east from Brundall station and 1 mile from Lingwood station, in the Southern division of the county, Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, on the road from Norwich to Yarmouth. The church of St. Andrew is a structure of flint, consisting of a chancel, nave with carved roof and some curious figures, a north aisle, a fine old square tower with a peal of 3 bells, and the remains of a handsome carved oak screen, with several good paintings, representing Apostles and Saints; the church was retsored in 1876. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, with that of Burlingham St. Peter annexed, joint yearly value 530 with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late H. N. Burroughes esq. and held since 1880 by the Rev. Charles Chapman McArthur, who is Association secretary of the Church Missioanry Society of Norfolk. The trustees of the late H. N. Burroughes esq. who are lords of the manor, and William Heath Jary esq J.P. are the chief landowners. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, chalk, stone and clay. The area is 750 acres; rateable value, 1,608; and the populaion in 1881 was 178.



POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE—-Charles Farman, receiver. Letters from Norwich arrive at 5.50 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Blofield

SCHOOL.—The children go to school at Lingwood

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK[
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on North Burlingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Burlingham South (or Burlingham St. Edmunds) and Burlingham St. Peter
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page