1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burlingham St Edmund [GENUKI-NFK]
And see Burlingham St. Peter and Burlingham North (or Burlingham St. Andrew)
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - South Burlingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 260.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SOUTH BURLINGHAM (or BURLINGHAM ST, EDMUND is a parish 9 miles east of Norwich and adjoins the Lingwood station on the line from Norwich to Yarmouth in the Southern division of the county, Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, on the road from Norwich to Yarmouth. in the Southern division of the county, Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, The church of St. Edmund is a very small old building, with a chancel, nave and square tower; the roof is thatched. The register dates from the year 1566. The living is a rectory, yearly value £202, with 12 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the late H. N. Buroughes esq. and held since 1873, by the Rev. Joseph Potter M.A. of Trnity College, Dublin. The trustees of the late H. N. Burroughes esq. are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 661 acres; rateable value, £1,275; and the population in 1881 was 74/



Letters through Norwich, viā North Burlingham, arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. Acle and Blofield are the nearest telegraph offices.

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; links updated December, 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burlingham St Edmund [GENUKI-NFK]
And see Burlingham St. Peter and Burlingham North (or Burlingham St. Andrew)
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page