BURLINGHAM ST. PETER is a parish 9 miles east from Norwich an 1½ north-east from Lingwood railway station, in the Southern division of the county, Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, on the road from Norwich to Yarmouth, The church of St. Peter is a building of flint with stone dressings, and consists of chancel and nave, separated by an oak screen, a tower round at the base, with an octagonal top and 3 bells : this church was restored at the sole expense of Mrs. Burroughes, of Burlingham Hall, and re-opened for divine service, September, 1874. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of North Burlingham, joint yearly value £530 with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late H. N. Burroughes and held since 1880 by the Rev, Chas. Chapman McArthur. Burlingham Hall, the seat of Mrs. Burroughes, is a commodious mansion, situated in w well-wooded park. The trustees of the late H. N. Burroughes, esq. are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 405 acres; rateable value, £913; and the population in 1881 was 64.
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2005; links updated December 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Burlingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Burlingham St. Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
And see Burlingham South
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page