BURNHAM DEEPDALE is a parish and small village 2½ miles north-west from Burnham Market railway station in the Western division of the county, Brothercross hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, Burnham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese: it is near the German Ocean, and sheltered on the south by a range of well-wooded hills. The church of St.Mary is an ancient structure of flint, in the Norman style, which was restored in 1835 and consists of chancel, nave and north aisle, and round tower at the west end containing 1 bell: it contains three memorial windows: the font is Saxon, having carved figures on the outside, representing the twelve months of the year. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory, yearly value £257. with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Henry Blyth esq. and held since 1862 by the Rev. Edward Kerslake Kerslake B.A. of St. John's College Cambridge. The trustees of the late Henry Blyth esq. are lords of the manor, and own the whole of the land. The soil is generally light; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The area is 1,024 acres. of which about 250 acres are marsh, enclosed from the sea; rateable value £1,305 13s. 6d.; the population in 1861 was 96.
Letters through Lynn, by mail cart, arriving at 9.40 a.m. at the Plough & leaving at 3.30 p.m. Brancaster is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
There is a mixed school, erected in 1874, for 72 children, average attendance 61, Miss Christian Lane, mistress; the parish has the right to send four boys to the Free School at Brancaster.
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brancaster (and Burnham Deepdale) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Burnham Deepdale postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Deepdale Village page
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burnham Deepdale [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page