BURNHAM WESTGATE, OR BURNHAM MARKET, has its latter name from the market formerly held here, but it has been discontinued several years ; the town is pleasantly situated on the Wells Road, 9 miles W. of North Walsington [sic. = Little, or New Walsingham], 22 miles N.E. by N. of Lynn, and 32 miles N.W. of Norwich. The parish contains 289 houses, 1,241 inhabitants, and 3,047 acres of land, partly the property of Sir Roger Martin, Bart., the lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a handsome mansion, beautified with pleasure grounds and shrubberies, and situated near the church. Part of the parish is in the Earl of Orford's manor of Burnham Thorpe. Sussex Farm, 2 miles north-west, is a large estate, and neat mansion, the residence and property of Hy. Etheridge Blyth, Esq.; and Cradle Hall, a large house and farm, 1½ mile W. of the town, belongs, with other property, to John Colthorpe, Esq., besides whom here are several proprietors. The town is about 2 miles south of Burnham Overy Staith, and some years ago had a small market on Saturday. Fairs for pleasure are held on Easter Monday and Tuesday, and on August 1st. Petty Sessions are held at the Hoste Arms on the last Saturday in every month ; Mr. Thos. Garwood is clerk to the Magistrates. The sea coast is about two miles to the north, and Holkham Park two miles to the east. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has nave, side aisles, chancel, and embattled tower at the west end, with four bells. The living is a Rectory with the medieties of Burnham Norton, and Ulph annexed to it, valued in the King's book at £20 16s. 8d., and in 1831 at £768 ; the patronage is in Christ's College, Cambridge, and the Rev. Wm. Bates, B.D. the incumbent, who built a good rectory house in the Elizabethan style, in 1853. There are 105 acres of glebe. The Independent Chapel was built in 1807 ; the congregation is under the pastoral care of the Rev. Jno. Wadland, B.A. In 1836, a neat National School was erected, which was considerably enlarged, and convenient residences for the teachers added in 1849 at a cost of £1,200, towards which the rector gave £300. Sir Mordaunt Martin, of Burnham Hall, who died in 1815, aged 73, spent 50 years in the study and practice of agriculture, being the first to introduce mangel-wurzel and sainfoin into this county. In 1771, John Willmott left £100 for the education of poor children, the interest of which is applied, with the produce of £100 left by the Rev. E. J. Blyth, in 1838, towards the support of a Sunday and Evening school. The poor have 50s. yearly, left by Ann Wilders, in 1770 ; and the interest of £100, left by Hy. Blyth, Esq., in 1831. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, erected in 1850 ; and here is an Infant British School, built in 1842 ; and a Subscription Library.
Post Office at Mr. Robert Spark's. Letters arrive at 9.20 a.m., and are despatched at 3.30 p.m. Money Order Office open from 9 to 6 o'clock.
Note: The town is generally known, now, as Burnham Market, and includes the parish of Burnham Sutton (or Burnham Ulph), while the name Burnham Westgate is shown on the current Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 map as applying to the western portion of the town. [ECA, Dec 2000]
1891 Census Names Index
Burnham Market Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Burnham Market postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Inns of Burnham Market [Norfolk Pubs]
Local web-site [Deepdale Farms]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burnham Market [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page