BURNHAM NORTON is a parish and village 1¼ miles north-by-east from Burnham Market, in the Western division of the county, Brothercross hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, Burnham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The village, which is called NORTON STREET, is half a mile from the church. The church of St.Margaret is a fine structure, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a lofty western round tower of very ancient date, containing 1 bell: it is built of flint, with stone dressings, and stands conspicuously on a hill fronting the sea, on the north: on the pulpit, which has been carefully restored, are painted the four Doctors of the ChurchSaints Augustine, Ambrose, Gregory and Jerometogether with the portraits of John Goldale and Katherine his wife, the donors of it: the figures of the ancient screen are nearly obliterated; in the floor of the south aisle are memorials of the family of the late Lord Chancellor Thurlow. The register dates from the year 1559. The rectory consists of two medieties, one annexed to the rectory of Burnham Westgate and the other to that of Burnham Sutton, held respectively by the Rev. James Henry Lamb M.A. late fellow of Christ's College Cambridge, rector of Burnham Westgate, and the Rev. Samuel Edward Blomefield B.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge, rector of Burnham Sutton There are 32 acres of glebe, and the commutation rent-charge is £262. There are four acres of land set apart for the repairs of the church. There are some remains of a Carmelite priory, founded in 1240, the gateway of which has been restored. The Earl of Oxford is lord of the manor and the owner of the whole parish, except for a few cottages and grass marshes. The arable land is of superior quality, and produces excellent crops of wheat, barley, oats, turnips, mangold-wurtzels, grass and seeds; the substratum is chalk. The area is 3,226 acres of land and 670 of water; rateable value, £1844 19s.; the population in 1881 was 139.
Letters through Lynn, viā Burnham Market. Burnham Market is the nearest money order & telegraph office. WALL LETTER BOX closed at 3.40 p.m. weekdays; 12.30 p.m. sundays
This parish is included in the Burnham Westgate United School Board district, formed in 1871. The children attend the Board schools there.
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Burnham Norton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burnham Norton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page