BURNHAM NORTON is a parish and small village, 1 mile N. of Burnham Market, containing 44 houses, 185 souls, and 1,166 acres of land (exclusive of salt marsh) belonging to the Earl of Orford, the lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is about half-a-mile south of the village, and has a round tower. On the pulpit are painted the four Doctors of the Church,Saints Augustine, Ambrose, Gregory, and Jerome ; and on the screen are figures of eight saints. In the south aisle are memorials of the ancestors of the late Lord Chancellor Thurlow. The Lord Chancellor and Christ's College are patrons. The rectory is in two medieties, consolidated with Burnham-Sutton and Burnham-Westgate. The Rev. Wm. Bates, D.D., rector of the latter mediety, is the officiating minister. There are 4a. of church land. A Priory of Carmelite Friars was founded here in 1240. Here is a school supported by the rector.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Burnham Norton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burnham Norton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page