BURNHAM OVERY is a parish and small seaport, including the pleasant village of OVERY STAITHE, 1 mile east-by-north from Burnham Market, 6 miles west from Wells, 23 from Lynn and 120 from London, in the Western division of the county, Brothercross hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, Burnham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. Overy Town (as it is called) and the parish church are situated on the road from Lynn to Wells, and near a small rivulet, which rises at South Creake and falls into the sea at Burnham Overy Staithe.. The church of St. Clement, situated on an eminence, appears to have lost much of its original character: it is in the Norman style, and consists of chancel (restored by the late Earl of Oxford, as lay impropriator, in 1835), nave, large southern porch, and a square central tower, surmounted by a turret containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Burnham Sutton, vicarial tithes commuted at £157, with 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held by the Rev. Samuel Edward Blomefield B.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge: the Earl of Oxford is the lay impropriator. Near the church are the remains of an ancient cross. Extensive meadows in this and the adjoining parishes of Holkham and Norton have been reclaimed from the sea by embankments. The Earl of Oxford, who is lord of the manor, and the Earl of Lancaster, are the principal landowners. The soil is of a fair mixed character; subsoil, chiefly chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and roots. The area is 2,298 acres of land and 250 of water; rateable value, £3,426 13s.; the population in 1881 was 617.
Burnham Overy Staithe is a pleasant village, about a mile from the parish church: the harbour is navigable for vessels of 80 tons up to the Staithe. The Primitive Methodist chapel is a small structure of flint and brick, erected in 1860. The trade carried on is in coals, corn, oil-cake and oysters. There is a coastguard station. The sands are extensive, and are firm and safe, and the sand hills abound in rabbits.
Letters by foot messenger through Lynn, viā Burnham Market. There is a LETTER BOX placed in a window at the Ship inn, Overy Staithe, where letters are colected at 3.45 p.m. on week days, & a WALL BOX at Overy town, which is cleared at 3.50 p.m. on week days. Burnham Market is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; George Hudson, Burnham Market, clerk to the Board.
Board School. built in 1875, at a cost of £800. for 66 children, average attendance, 55; Miss Sarah Teasel, mistress.
A proportion of the children of Burnham Overy have access to the Burnham Board schools
Coast Guard Station, Brodie Stein, chief boatman in charge
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Burnham Overy Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Eplorer]
Burnham Overy (lower) watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy Union Mill (combined wind & water) [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy Town postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy Staithe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burnham Overy [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page