1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brothercross hundred
Docking union
Burnham Overy Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Eplorer]
Burnham Overy (lower) watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy Union Mill (combined wind & water) [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy Town postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy Staithe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burnham Overy [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Burnham Overy

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 616-617

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

BURNHAM OVERY parish includes the large village of Burnham Overy Staith, situated nearly two miles N.N.E. of Burnham Market, on a rivulet or creek which crosses the salt marshes by two channels to the ocean, and is navigable for vessels of 60 or 80 tons up to the Staith, where extensive malting establishments are worked for some of the London breweries, and where a considerable trade in coal, corn, oil cake, &c., is carried on, as well as in oysters, where there is an excellent bed in the offing, where 6 boats are regularly employed. The spring tides rise from 9 to 11 feet at the Staith. The parish contains 153 houses, 674 inhabitants, and 2,268 acres of land. The Church, dedicated to St. Clement, stands on elevated ground, a mile south of the Staith, and has a short square tower surmounted by a turret with one bell. In the same enclosure there was formerly another Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, but no traces of it now remain ; the cures being consolidated in 1421, as a vicarage, valued in the King's book at £8. The living is united with Burnham Sutton, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The Rev. James Ralph Fox, B.D., is the incumbent. There are 4a. 37p. of Church Land. Peterstone House, near the south-east extremity of the parish, is the site of a hospital and chapel, called St. Peter de Patra, and anciently belonged to a religious community who had a free chantry granted them by the priory of Walsingham. At the dissolution, its site was granted to the Bishop of Norwich, and is now held of the see by the Earl of Leicester, who owns several other portions of the parish ; but the greater part is the property of the Earl of Orford, the lord of the manor, and impropriator of the rectorial tithes, commuted for £244, and the vicarial for £157 per annum. There is a Coast Guard Station at the Staith, with a chief officer and eight men.

Those Marked * reside at the Staith.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated November, 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brothercross hundred
Docking union
Burnham Overy Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Eplorer]
Burnham Overy (lower) watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy Union Mill (combined wind & water) [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy Town postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Burnham Overy Staithe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burnham Overy [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page