BURNHAM THORP (or THORPE) is a village and parish situated a mile east-by-south from Burnham Market, 5 miles west from Wells and 8½ from Fakenham, thenearest market town, in the Western division of the county, Brothercross hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, Burnham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. The church of St. Peter, in the Perpendicular style, was repaired and beautified in the year 1842, just previously to the revival of church restoration on sound principles, and is therefore still disfigured by pews: it consists of chancel (the upper portion of the east window being filled with stained glass representing the Apostles Peter, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John), nave and north aisle (the south aisle having been ddestroyed) and square tower at the western end containing 1 bell: it contains several marble tablets, one to the Rev. Edmund Nelson, father of Lord Nelson, and three others to the memory of members of the family of the late and present rectors: in the chancel is a brass representing the figure of Sir William Calthorpe in a full suit of chain armour, the whole surrounded by a brass border, with an inscription bearing date A.D. 1420. The register dates from the year 15589. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent charge of £700, with 25 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Earl of Oxford and held by the Rev. John Levien M.A. of Wadham College, Osford. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel, which was erected in 1864. Burnham Thorpe is celebrated as having been the birthplace of the distinguished hero, Admiral Viscount Nelson, whose father was for many years rector of this place and of Burnham Sutton. The Earl of Oxford is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is of mixed character; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 2,328 acres; rateable value, £3,364; the population in 1871 was 350 and in 1881 was 354.
Letters received through Lynn, viā Burnham Market by foot post & in the village is a WALL LETTER BOX cleared week days at 4 p.m. Burnham Market is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
There is a school (mixed) for 96 children; average attendance, 87; endowed with £44 yealy, with house for the master, kept in repair by the Earl of Oxford; Thomas Day, master
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Burnham Thorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Burnham Thorpe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Burnham Thorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page