BURNHAM THORPE is a village and parish, pleasantly situated about a mile E. by S. of Burnham Market, comprising 424 inhabitants, 82 houses, and 2,320 acres of land, of which the Earl of Orford is the principal owner, and lord of the manor ; but the Earl of Leicester and a few others have estates here. The manor and the Earl of Orford's estate, in this parish, were purchased by Peter Lombard, Esq., in 1755, on whose death it passed to the Earl's ancestor the Hon. Horatio Walpole, created Lord Walpole, of Wolterton, by Geo. II. Burnham Thorpe is celebrated as being the birth place of that distinguished hero Admiral Lord Nelson, whose father was many years rector of this place and Burnham Sutton. A brief memoir of the illustrious Nelson has already been given with Yarmouth. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, contains several marble tablets to the memory of the Nelson and other families. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £19 10s., has 29a. 2r. 23p. of glebe, with a neat residence built on the site of that in which Nelson was born. The Earl of Orford is patron, and the Rev. Edward Brown Everard, M.A., the incumbent. The Church was repaired and beautified in 1842. The tithes are commuted for £712. 15s. per annum. Richard Bunting, in the 41st of Elizabeth, gave a chamber over a malthouse to be used as a school, and charged his lands in the manor of Gyrres-cum-Patin, in Barwick and Barmer, now belonging to John Savory, Esq., with the yearly payment of £12 to the schoolmaster. The school was not established till 1704, and the rent charge was not paid till 1797, when after paying the costs of a suit in chancery, the remaining part of the arrears, £219, were laid out in the purchase of £448 three per cent consols, which has since increased by unapplied dividends, to £1,075 of the same stock. In 1797, Lord Walpole, against whom the chancery suit had been instituted, gave in exchange for the old school a good dwelling house and school, with about an acre of land. The Earl of Orford keeps the school premises in repair. For the rent charge and £32 out of the yearly dividends of the above, the master teaches any children that may be recommended by the trustees. Here is an Infant School, supported by the Earl of Orford. The Earl of Leicester has an extensive brick yard in the parish. The poor have 16s. yearly from Ward's charity, 16s. left by Thos. Taylor, and 5s. left by an unknown donor.
Jno. Buck, baker and grocer ;
Mary A. Culley, schoolmistress ;
Robt. Curtis, blacksmith ;
Rev. Edward Brown Everard, M.A., rector ;
Thos. Futter, par. clk.;
Caroline Garner, shopkpr.;
Jno. Garner, vict. and wheelgt., Lord Nelson ;
Wm. Groom, foreman brickmkr.;
Jno. Hooker, bricklayer ;
Thos. Wm. Norman, master of endowed school ;
Thos. Mack, Manor House ;
Joseph Pawsey, and
Thos. Starling, farmers.