1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Burston with Shimpling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Burston towermill and Burston postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Burston [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Burston

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.267.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BURSTON is a village and parish and station on the Great Eastern railway, 3 miles north-by-east from Diss adn 97 from London, in the Southern division of the county, Diss hundred, and county court district, Depwade union district, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norflk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a small building of flint, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and bell turret containing 1 bell: the tower fell in 1753: the porch was rebuilt in 1879. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is arectory, tithes commuted at 470, with about 70 acres of glebe and reidence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1854 by the Rev. Henry Temple Frere M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The charities are 2 yearly for the poor. The parish contains the following manors:--the Earl of Albermarle's manor of Winfarthing; Heywood Hall, belonging to the trustees of the late Charles Layton esq,; Brockdish Hall and Mildenhall, belonging to Jerom Murch esq. of Cranwells, near Bath, The principal landowners are Sir A. K. Lake bart. Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp bart. J.P> Thomas Mann esq. Mr. C. Scales and Doughty's hosital, Norwich. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay and brick earth. The chief cops are what, barley, beans, turnips and mangold wurtzel. The area is 1,449 acres; rateable value, 2,322; and the population in 1881 was 406.



POST OFFICE.--Eldred Burrows receiverm Letters arrive from Diss at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. Diss is the nearest money order office; the telegraph office is at the railway staton. Wall Box at the Rilway station cleared at 5.15 p.n.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874 for the united district of Burston & Shimpling; . Borrett, Pulham Market, clerk to the board

Board School, built in 1875 at a cost of 850 for 90 children; average attendance, 79; John Robert Sheppard, master

Railway Station, Thomas Harborow Inkson, station master

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007, corrections made and links updated November 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Burston with Shimpling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Burston towermill and Burston postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Burston [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page