1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Buxton with Lammas Archeology [Norfolk heritage Explorer]
Buxton watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Buxton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Buxton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.267-8.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BUXTON is a parish and pleasant village on the navigable river Bure and station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway (called Buxton Lamas), 4 miles south-east from Aylsham and 8 north from Norwich. in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient structure of flint, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and square tower cotaining 5 bells, and has been thoroughly restored and re-seated and a clock added: there are sevreal beautiful stained windows. The register dates from the year 1640. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with the rectory of Oxnead, joint yearly value 280, in the gift of Sir H. Stracey bart. and held since 1855 by the Rev. William James Stracey M.A. late fellow of Magdalene College, Cambridge: the glebe consists of 90 acres and the village house: the small tithes have been commuted at 110 15s. and the Oxnead great tithes, 180 yearly. The great tithes are 240. The Baptists and Wesleyans have chapels here. Buxton Reformatory, originated by the late John Wright esq. is situated in and described under Marsham. The poor have several charities left by various donors at different periods, amongst which may be mentioned Sir John Picto's, invested partly in land, producing about 90 yearly, distributed in coals and blankets; and another of 56 yearly, left in 1693 by Thomas Bulwer, then of Buxton, for the vicar of Buxton if resident; if not, for the benefit of the poor; there is also an interest of 110 for 10 widows yearly, left by the late Mr. Pearse. Dudwick House is a mansion in a pleasant lawn, partly surrounded by trees and shrubs, the property of Philip E. Sewell esq. and occupied by Capt. J. Robert Theophilus Hastings Parker J.P.. The Hall, now converted into a farm-house, is the property of Mr. Thomas Lane. There are two manors. Sr Henry Stracey bart. is lord of the manor of Buxton Leishaw, and W. M. Hazard esq. of Harleston of that of Buxton-with-the-Members; and they, with Philip E. Sewell esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 1,274 acres; rateable value, 2,820; the population in 1881 was 556.



Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; name correction, December 2009' ;inks updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Buxton with Lammas Archeology [Norfolk heritage Explorer]
Buxton watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Buxton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page