Note: Not to be confused wth Belaugh - both village names are pronounced locally Beela.
BYLAUGH (or BELAUGH) is a picturesque parish on the north bank of the river Wensum, 5 miles north-east from East Dereham, 3½ south-east from Elmham station on the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin was enlarged and thoroughly repaired in 1810, by the late Sir John Lombe: it is a small edifice of flint with stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, with a round tower and hexagonal belfry containing 1 bell. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £75, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A., J.P. of Bylaugh Park, and held since 1836 by the Rev. Louis Augustus Norgate B.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, rural dean and hon. canon of Norwich, who is also rector of and resides at Foxley. Bylaugh Park, a handsome mansion, designed by Sir Charles Barry, was erected in accordance with the will of the late Sir John Lombe bart. and is the seat of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A., J.P. who is lord of the manor and owner of the chief part of the parish. The soil is light loam and clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The area is 1,546 acres; rateable value, £1,165; and the population in 1881 was 165.
Letters received through East Dereham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office. PILLAR BOX cleared at 5 p.m.; sundays, at 8.30 a.m.
A school was erected at Bawdeswell by the late Rev. Henry Lomb for the parishes of Bawdeswell, Foxley & Bylaugh
Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, July 2000; minor corrections and links updated December 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bylaugh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page