1891 Census Names Index
Caister Castle [Castles of England & Wales]
Caister on Sea Archeology (or Caister-next-Yarmouth) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Cemetery chapel [Simon Knott]
Church of St. Edmund, West Caister (New Church) [Simon Knott]
Church of St.Ignatius of Loyola [Simon Knott]
Caister Ness postmill, North postmill, South postmill, East tower mill and Ashtree Farm Drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on CaisterNextYarmouth [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Caister-next-Yarmouth

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 268-269.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

CAISTOR-next-YARMOUTH is a large and widely scattered parish, with a station on the Eastern and Midland railway, 2½ miles north from Yarmouth, in the Northern division of the county, incorporated hundreds of East and West Flegg, county court district of Great Yarmouth, rural deanery of Flegg, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situate on the sea coast. The church of Holy Trinity is an old stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and lofty square tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a rectory, yearly vale £942 8s. 11d. with 5 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of C. C. Aldred esq. and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Gibbs Howes Murrell, of St Aidans. Anciently there were two churches, but of St. Edmund's only part of the tower remains. There are three chapels of ease. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists built in 1863. There are several charities for the benefit of the poor; the poor's allotment of 17 acres produces about £100 early for fuel., A cemetery of 1 acres was formed in 1879, it is under the control of a Burial Board of 9 members. Here is a coastguard station, with an officer and 6 men; there is also a company of beachmen, or salvagers, consisting of 20 men, who have charge of the lifeboats belonging to the Royal National Institution, and who have performed many gallant services. Caistor is supposed to be more ancient than Yarmouth, and takes its name from a Roman station, the foundations of which have been nearly obliterated by the plough. About 1 mile from the town are the ruins of Caister Castle, originally enclosing a space of 6 acres, built by Sir John Falstolff, who was born here, and who, during the English regency of France, signalised himself by acts of bravery during a lengthened campaign, especially at Harfleur, Agincourt and Verneuil: he received the Garter for his share in taking Granville, and participated in the capture of the Duke of Alençon: after his return to Caister he performed many acts of charity, founded several religious houses, and was a great benefactor to the poor. The only portions of the castle (which was twice besieged) standing are a lofty round tower and part of the north and west walls: it appears to have been a castellated mansion of great extent, and was entered by a drawbridge crossing a moat, supposed to have extended tot he sea by means of a creek. Near the castle are the remains of a college, supposed to have been founded by Sir John Falstolff, for seven priests and seven poor folk. The manor and castle afterwards came into the possession of the Paston family, well known form the Paston letters recently published. Mrs. Clowes is lady of the manor, but the land is the property of a number of freeholders. The soil is loamy; subsoil, red sand. The chief crops are what, oats and barley. The parish comprises 2,925A. 0R. 9P. of which 1,486A. 1R. 24P. are arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture; rateable value, £7,454; the population in 1881 was 1m572.

POST OFFICE.—John Thomas Blyth, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 7 a.m. & are dispatched at 7 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Yarmouth & telegraph office at the Railway station

Cemetery, C. Youmans, clerk to the Burial Board
Coast Guard Station, William Hy. English, chief officer.
SCHOOLS:—
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1871; F. A. Rising, Great Yarmouth, clerk tot he Board
Board School, built in 1876, average attendance 230 Samuel Kennard, master; Mrs. Anne S. Kennard, infants' mistress
Railway Station, Samuel Hillway, station master

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, March 2005; links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
Caister Castle [Castles of England & Wales]
Caister on Sea Archeology (or Caister-next-Yarmouth) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Cemetery chapel [Simon Knott]
Church of St. Edmund, West Caister (New Church) [Simon Knott]
Church of St.Ignatius of Loyola [Simon Knott]
Caister Ness postmill, North postmill, South postmill, East tower mill and Ashtree Farm Drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on CaisterNextYarmouth [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page