CAISTOR ST. EDMUND is a small and sattered village and parish, situated on the river Tese, 2 miles north from Swainsthorpe station, and 3 south from Norwich. in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Henstead, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Edmund is a small flint building with stone dressings, consisting of chancel, nave and square tower. The register dates from the year 1565. The living is a rectory, with Markshall annexed, joint yearly value £461, with 59 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs. Arthy, of Caistor Hall, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Anthony South Morse B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There are various small charities, and a fuel allotment of 24 ares, the rent of which, £56, is distributed in coals. Caistor is supposed to have been the capital of the Iceni, a Belgic tribe, and was by the Romans called Venta Icenorum, and was long a Roman camp or station, whence the East English, on their conquest of the country, called it Caistor, Many Roman antiquities and coins of the various emperors, from Nero to the time of the Lower Empire, but principally of Constantine, have been found here; about the year 1838 the bronze figure of a satyr, and another in the shape of a foot, were found; they are preserved at Norwich. A coin of pure gold, bearing a fine impressio of Nero, was picked up in a turnip feld in 1844,in the parish of Markshall. The camp is am open encampment containing 30 acres. Caistor Hall, the seat of Mrs. Arthy (who is lady of the manor and the principal landowner) is a plain white brick mansion. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel, The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,044 acres; rateable value, £2,124; and the population in 1881 was 143.
Assessor & Collector of Taxes, Walter Culling
This place is included in the United School Board District of Poringland, formed in 1874. The school is at Framingham Earl
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Caistor St. Edmund Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Caistor St. Edmund watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Caistor St. Edmund [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page