1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Cantley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Cantley [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Cantley

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 270.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

CANTLEY is a paish and station on the Norwich and Yarmouth railway, situate on the navigable river Yare, 10 miles east from Norwich, 10 west from Yarmouth and 5 north from Loddon, in the Southern division of the county, Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave and a square tower. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, yearly value tithe rentcharge 308, with rectory house and 43 acres of glebe, in the gift of W. A. Gilbert esq. and held since 1860 by he Rew. John Bellamy Gilbert M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The charities are derived from 8A. 2R. 30P. of land, which is let annually by tender. William Alexander Gilbert esq J.P. of the Manor House, an ancient red brick building, pleasantly situated, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,850 acres, rated at 3,318 and the population in 1881 was 266.



POST OFFICE.—John Harper. Letters through Norwich; arrive at 8.45 a.m. & dispatched at 2.50 p.m. Reedham is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National School, Miss Harriet Mayes, mistress

Railway Station, William Belton, station master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007, with minor spelling corrections, November, 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Cantley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Cantley [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page