CARBROOKE is a village and parish 9 miles north-west from Attleborough and 3 north-west from Watton, in the Western division of the county, Wayland hundred and union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Beccles [sic. = Breccles] and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a very fine edifice of flint, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles and north and south porches and tower containing 5 bells: the nave is seated with open benches of oak: the roof is of carved oak. The register dates from the year 1543. The living is a discharged vicarage, gross yearly value tithe rent charge £127, with 24 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of Edward May Dewing esq. and held since 1858 by the Rev. John Fletcher Burrell T.A.K.C.L. Anciently another church stood here, in an exempt jurisdiction, called Carbrooke Parva, belonging to a commandery or preceptory of Knights Templar, founded here by Roger, Earl of Clare, who died in 1173; it was sometime called the Priory of St. John of Jerusalem, but commonly the Commandery of Kerbrooke: it was endowed with numerous farms and vassals: at the Dissolution its revenues were valued at £65 2s. 9d. Here are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. The poor have £2 yearly in bread and the rent of 56 acres for coals. Carbrooke Hall is the residence of William Field esq. Sir William Robert Clayton bart. who is lord of the manor, and Edward May Dewing esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is part heavy and part light clay; subsoil gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 3,033 acres; rateable value £5,367; the population in 1881 was 612.
POST OFFICE. Samuel Skipper, receiver. Letters are received through Thetford, viâ Watton; arrive at 7.30a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Watton is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
National School, Miss Whittle, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy"} Apling, February 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mill Dift postmill (pre-1836) and post 1837); Mill Lane postmill and towermill; Shipdham Road postmill
and Carbrooke watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Carbrooke village hall
Carbrooke Church (and audio tour) [Watton and Wayland info]
Carbrooke archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Carbrooke [GENUKI-NFK}
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page