CARBROOKE is a parish and large village, 3 miles E. of Watton, which contains 178 houses, 796 inhabitants, and 3,030 acres of land, the principal owners of which are Sir W. R. Clayton, Richd. Dewing, Esq., and Mr. John Wace ; but Mrs. Mary Grigson, of Saham-Toney, is lady of the manor. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, was rebuilt in the reign of Henry VI., and is a handsome edifice, with a tower and five bells. A fine Gothic screen divides the nave and the chancel, and the roof of the former is richly carved and painted. The Knights Templars had 16 stalls in the chancel, but they were converted into pews many years ago. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £7 12s. 6d., an[d] in 1831 at £113, in the patronage of Richard Dewing, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Wells. In 1729, it was augmented with £200, Royal bounty ; and £200, given by the Rev. J. Carter ; and in 1810 and 1815, with £400, parliamentary grants. The tithes were commuted in 1844 for £482 4s., and the vicarial for £74 4s. per annum. Besides the latter, the vicar has the tithes of 200 acres of land in Great Ellingham. The Church Land, 13a. 3r. 9p., is let for £31, out of which the poor have 20s. The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1801, is 55a. 2r. 15p., let for £71. The Independents have a chapel here. In 1836 a neat school was built by Richard Dewing, Esq., who also chiefly supports it. Another church anciently stood in an exempt jurisdiction, called Carbrooke-Parva, belonging to a commandry or preceptory of Knights Templars, founded here by Roger, Earl of Clare, (who died in 1173)[.] It was sometimes called the Priory of St. John of Jerusalem, but commonly the "Commandry of Kerbrooke," and was the only institution of the kind in Norfolk. It was endowed with numerous farms and vassals. All persons who enjoyed the privileges of this order were allowed to fix a cross upon their houses and lands, which exempted them from the payment of tithes, taxes, and many customary dues. These privileges, the knights, by granting their name and the use of the cross, conferred upon others ; for which exemptions small payments were made to them out of lands and tenements. But this abuse growing enormous by many presuming to put a cross upon their property, a statute was enacted in the reign of Edward I., for the confiscation of all property on which crosses were falsely affixed. At the dissolution its revenues were valued at £65 2s. 9d. In 1737 a curious cross was found with an oaken stem, ornamented with brass bosses.
Post Office at Robt. Clarke and Son's : letters arrive at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mill Dift postmill (pre-1836) and post 1837); Mill Lane postmill and towermill; Shipdham Road postmill
and Carbrooke watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Carbrooke village hall
Carbrooke Church (and audio tour) [Watton and Wayland info]
Carbrooke archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Carbrooke [GENUKI-NFK}
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page