CARLETON ST. PETER is a parish and village 2 miles south from Buckenham station and 8 south-east from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon & Clavering union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Here is a ferry across the river Yare, convenient for Buckenham station. The church of St. Peter is an ancient structure of flint in the Early English style: it consists of chancel and nave, with square tower and 4 bells and south porch: it was thoroughly restored in 1849. The register dates frokm the year 1511. The living is a rectory. consolidated with that of Ashby, joint yeary value £350, in the gift of Sir Reginald William Proctor-Beauchamp, bart. and held since 1880 by the Rev. Robert Thomas Whitmarsh, who resides at Ashby, near Loddon. Sir Charles Henry Stuart Rich bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light sandy: subsoil, sand beds. The chief crops are what, barley and oats. The area is 765 acres; rateable value, £1,016; and the population in 1881 was 91.
Letters through Norwich. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Loddon
The children attend school at Thurton
Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2009; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Carleton St Peter Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Carleton St. Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information on Carleton St. Peter [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page