Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Carleton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Carleton [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - East Carlton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 271.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

EAST CARLTON is a parish and scattered village 3 miles east from Hethersett, 2 west from Swainthorpe station, and 5 south-west-by-south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. East Carlton ancientl formed two parishes and had two churches: the church of St. Peter went to decay in the sixteenth century: that of St. Mary is a small building of flint and rubble, having small chancel, nave, north aisle and low square tower with wooden spire and 1 bell. The church was thoroughly restored in 1881, at a cost of 700, the aisle appears to have been added to the original structure, access thereto being obtained by making three rough arches in the thick wall of the nave; at the recent restoration this wall was removed and replaced by three arches on pillars: the building has been re-roofed and raised to its original height, the chancel was also raised two steps, the old and dilapidated fittings have been removed and replaced by open benches; a new east window was also inserted and the church generally put in thorough repair : in the chancel is a tablet to the memory of Peter Coppin formery rector of the prish for 40 years, who died in 1728. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is formed of the consolidated rectories of St. Peter and St. Mary, and has a tithe rent-charge of 315 and 42 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1860 by the Rev. James John Cumming M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. A Rectory house has recently been built at a cost of 1,440. John Steward esq. is lord of the manor of Carlton-late-Townshends and the Norwich Charity Trustees are the lords of the manor of East Carlton-with-Hethel. John Steward esq. Sir F. G. Manningham Boileau bart. the Rt. Hon. Sir Nathaniel Lindley P.C. Lord Justice of the Court of Appeal and Major Reginald Gwynne, are the principal landowners. Manor House the property and residence of John Steward esq. is a plain modern bulding, pleasantly situated in park-like grounds of about 80 acres. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,213 acres; rateable value, 2,524; the population in 1881 was 284.


Letters through Norwich, arrive about 9.30 a.m. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 4.40 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Mulbarton & telegraph office at Wymondham

National School (mixed) Miss Bushell, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Carleton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Carleton [GENUKI-NFK]