CARLTON (EAST) contains in its parish 66 houses, 284 souls, and 1,195a. 2r. 28p. of land, and is situated 5 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich. The chief land owners are the Rev. John Henry Steward, and Sir J. P. Boileau, but Norwich Charity Trustees are lords of the manor of East Carlton-with-Hethel, which they hold by the service of carrying yearly to the "royal household" 24 herring pies, but none have been presented since 1834. There is also the manor of Carlton-Curzon, and Peverels, of which the Rev. J. H. Steward is lord. This parish had anciently two churches, standing within fifty yards of each other, but St. Peter's was dilapidated in 1550, and only a few fragments of it now remain. It is still continued as a sinecure rectory, in the gift of the Crown, and was valued at £138 in 1831. The Church of St. Mary is a small edifice, with a short tower, surmounted with a wooden spire. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £4, and in 1831, at £181, in the patronage of the Norwich Charity Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. Robt. John Francis, for whom the Rev. Fredk. Cavill officiates.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Carleton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Carleton [GENUKI-NFK]