CARLTON FOREHOE is a village and parish 3 miles north-west from Wymondham station, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, county court district of Wymondham, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small stone edifice, in the Perpendicular style; it has a chancel and nave and square tower containing 1 bell and was repaired and re-pewed in 1839, when an organ and gallery were added. In 1876 the church was again re-pewed. The register dates from the year 1699. The living is a rectory, with Crownthorpe annexed, tithe rent charge £170, with 90 acres of glebe in this parish and 30 acres in the parish of Garveston, and £25 derived from glebe land situated in Crownthorpe, in lieu of tithes, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberly, and held since 1874 by the Rev. John Edward Parker Bartlett, of St. Bees. The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is various; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,772 acres; rateable value £1,229; the population in 1881 was 120.
National School, supported by the Earl of Kimberly; Miss Letitia Taylor, mistress.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Milestone on the B1108 [The Milestone Ring]
Kimberley Archeology (including Carlton Forehoe) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Carlton Forehoe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page