Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Carlton Rode postmill, smockmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Carleton Rode Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Carleton Rode [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Carlton Rode

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 351-352

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

CARLTON RODE, a large village, 6¼ miles W.N.W. [sic. E.S.E.] of Attleborough, contains 204 houses, 925 inhabitants, and 2,573 acres of land, chiefly the property of Sir Robert J. Buxton, Bart., but part of the parish is comprised in the manors of Tibbenham and Forncett. In 1844, a collection of British antiquities was discovered here in a field, on the farm occupied by the Rev. T. P. Slapp, of Old Buckenham, in whose possession they were placed. They consist of four celts, one of them ornamented with embossed lines—the lower portions of two other celts, three chisels, one evidently worn by use, four gouges, and two punches. The chisels and gouges are of different sizes, just as you might expect to find, at the present day, a small series of tools on a carpenter's bench, varying in their dimensions, and do not differ much in their form from the same kind of tools used at the present day. They are in excellent preservation, though in all probability have been buried in the earth 2,000 years. The implements are made of hard brass, and eight or nine lumps of the same metal were found with them. It does appear from this interesting discovery, that, although the ancient Britons are represented by the Roman invaders as savages clothed in skins of beasts, and prowling about with painted bodies, they were not so ignorant of mechanical art as we are sometimes disposed to imagine. The church dedicated to All Saints, has a good organ, the gift of Mrs. Bevan. The living, a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £16, has now a yearly rent of £937 in lieu of tithes. Sir R. J. Buxton, Bart. is patron, and the Rev. S. Bevan, incumbent. The Baptists have a chapel here. The Town Lands consist of 15 acres, let for £24, which is carried to the poor rates ; and 15a. 1r. 20p., let for £22, applied with the church rates. Part of these lands were given by Robt. Verdon, and other donors, and the rest was set out at the enclosure, in 1779, when a Fuel allotment of 40 acres, was awarded to the poor. The latter is let for £35, which is expended in coals, with the rent of 2 acres purchased with the bequest of Mrs. Howes. The rector supports a national school for fifty children.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Carlton Rode postmill, smockmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Carleton Rode Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Carleton Rode [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]