1891 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages (1736-1818) [Alan Gresley]
Castle Rising postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Castle Rising [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Castle Rising History Group
More on Castle Rising [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Castle Rising

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 271-272.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

CASTLE RISING is a parish 4½ miles north-north-east from Lynn and 2 east from North Wootton station, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the Babingley river. This parish was anciently a seaport and town of considerable importance, returning two members to Parliament, and the mayor took precedence of those of all boroughs in the county; but having long since been deserted by the sea, it fell into decay, the market and fair became obsolete, it was disenfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832, and the corporation abolished by the Municipal Reform Act. The church of St. Lawrence is a fine specimen of the Norman style, restored in 1844; the chancel, Early English, was beautifully restored in 1857: the font is also Norman: the church, which consists of chancel, nave and transept, has been further restored during the present year 1883; the transept has been enlarged and the porch which had been demolished has been rebuilt, the cost, including a new organ, is £3,000: at the entrance to the churchyard is a handsome lych gate erected in 1879 to the memory of the Hon. Mary Greville Howard. The register dates from the year 1573. The living is a rectory, with that of Roydon annexed, joint yearly value £419, with 15 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Hon. Greville Theophilus Howard and held since 1846 by the Worshipful Charles Walter Bagot M.A. of All Souls College, Oxford, chancellor of the diocese of Bath and Wells. Trinity Hospital was founded by the Earl of Northampton in the reign of James II. for a governess and twelve poor spinsters or widows: the income exceeds £200 yearly. The Hall is a handsome brick building, the property of the trustees of the late Hon. G. T. Howard and now occupied by Col. Sir Redvern Henry Buller K.C.M.G., V.C., C.B., J.P. and Lady Audrey Buller. The Castle, part of the keep of which remains, was built by William de Albini in 1176: the remains of a Saxon church have been found within the mounds: Isabella, the queen of Edward II. passed her widowhood here in a kind of captivity, and she died in the castle. In the village there is an old cross upon the site of the ancient market place. The trustees of the late Hon. Grevlle Theophilus Howard are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is chiefly sand and loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,096 acres; rateable value, £2,086; the population in 1881 was 345.

POST OFFICE.—Henry Edward Greene sub-postmaster. London & other letters are received through Lynn by mail cart; arrive at 5.35 a.m. & dispatched at 6.50 p.m. Lynn is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National School, A. W. Howes, master; Mrs. Rebecca Emma Smith, mistress

CARRIERS TO & FROM LYNN pass through the parish tuesday & saturday

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links last updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages (1736-1818) [Alan Gresley]
Castle Rising postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Castle Rising [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Cast;e Rising History Group
More on Castle Rising [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page