CASTON is a village and parish 3½ miles south-east from Watton, 1½ miles north-east from Stow Bedon station, and 7 from Attleborough, in the Western division of the county, Wayland hundred and union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Breckles and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Holy Cross is a large and noble stone building, in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel and nave, with square tower and 6 bells. The register dates from 1539. The living is a rectory, tithe commutation £517 5s. with residence and 52 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1850 by the Rev. Walter John Partridge MA of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, J.P. Norfolk: the Rev. Charles Robert Arthur Grant M.A. of Magdalen College, Oxford, is curate in charge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. Sir William Bowyer-Smijth bart. who is lord of the manor, Lord Walsingham and George Barker esq. J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,557 acres; rateable value £2,921; and the population in 1881 was 543.
POST OFFICE. John Murrell, sub-postmaster. Letters from Attleborough arrive at 8.45 a.m.; depart at 5.55 p.m. Watton is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Dover's Charity of £31 12s. 6d. yearly, derived from £1,000 Consols, was founded in 1865, bequeathed "to the Rector of Caston for the time being," in trust for the parish school; Miss Alice Foster, mistress.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Caston Tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Caston village web-site
Caston church (with audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Caston archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Caston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page