1891 Census Names Index
Wayland hundred
Wayland union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Caston Tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Caston village web-site
Caston church (with audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Caston archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Caston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Caston

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 860-861

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001]

CASTON, 3½ miles S.E. of Watton, is a pleasant village and parish, comprising 545 inhabitants, 125 houses, and 1,540 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir Wm. B. Smijth, Esq., and Mrs. Barker ; the former is lord of the manor of Caston Hall, but part of the parish is in the manors of Newlands, Griston, and Scoulton. The Church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is a large structure with a tower and six bells. Fifteen years ago the high square pews were replaced with neat oak sittings, with carved stall-heads, and last year a new roof was placed on the nave and chancel, both being covered with slate instead of thatch, as before. Considerable repairs are still in operation, for which the parishioners are chiefly indebted to the liberality of the patron. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £11 9s. 2d., is in the patronage of Henry Dover, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. W. J. Partridge, who has 52a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £517 5s. in lieu of tithes. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, and on the green is the base of an ancient cross. An allotment of 25a., awarded to 34 ancient houses and cottages in 1813, is let for £8. One acre of land was allotted at the same time to the surveyors of the roads, and 2a. 0r. 35p. to the churchwardens and overseers of the poor. Here is a National school attended by about 60 children.

Post Office at James Osborn's : letters arrive at 9.30 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m.

Banham Geo. grcr. dpr. & whlwrt
Bilham Jas. grcr. drpr. & schlmstr
Brett Jno. shoemkr
Chaston Dnl. relvg. officer, & regr. of births and deaths
Cook Ellen, blacksmith
Crook John, beerhouse
Dover Hy. Esq. Parsonage
Gooch Edwd. shoemaker
Hewett Jno. plmbr. and glzr
Jenny Wm. tailor
Land Mrs. Susanna
Legood Harriet, National school
Little Wm. bricklayer
Osborn Jas. saddler
Palmer Mrs. Lucy
Partridge Rev. Walter Jno.rector
Stebbings Chas. vict. Red Lion
Vince Philip, wheelwright & vict. Duke's Head
Wyer Edwd. corn miller and baker
Farmers.
Bailey Geo.
Cooper Jas.
Davey Wm.
Filbee Jno. Dairy Farm
Hardy Robt.
James Wm.
Osborn Wm.
Parsley W.Church Farm
Potter Elisha
Turner Ellis, Caston Hall
Walker Thos.
Whiterod Jas.
Wilby Isaac
Youngman Jno.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Wayland hundred
Wayland union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Caston Tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Caston village web-site
Caston church (with audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Caston archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Caston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page