Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Catfield Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Catfield postmill and Mill Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Catfield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Catfield

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 272.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

CATFIELD is a parish and village, with a station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, near the navigable Ant, 14 miles north-east from Norwich, and 12 south-east from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, Happing hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district , rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich; the parish is large and the houses are much scattered; it includes oart of HICKLING and BARTON BROADS. The church of All Saints, an ancient structure of flint and stone, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, square embattled tower with a fine peal of 5 bells, and south porch: a caved oak screens eparates the chancel and nave: the seats were re-arranged in 1852, and 145 additional sittings provided; the total free sittings are about 200: the nave was nww roofed in 1864. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and the representative of Rev. B. L. Cubitt alternately: the tithes are commuted for £606 yearly with 18 acres of glebe and house, and held since 1872 by the Rev. Arthur Brown B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a small chapel belonging to the Primitive Methodists, built in 1838. The Hall is the seat of John Joeph l'Oste Lubbock esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor; it is a modern building and surrounded by trees. The principal landowners are J. J. l'Oste Lubbock, William Barber, John Rope and William Salmon esqrs. The heath land is let and the proceeds are applied for the benefit of the poor. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 2,375 acres; rateable value £3,300; and the population in 1881 was 631.


POST, MONEY ORDER OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Insurance & Annuity Office.—John Watson Huson, sub-[ostmaster. Letters from Norwich, viā Stalham by mail-cart arrive at 7.45 a.m. depart at 2.45 & 6p.m. Telegraph office at the station

Railway Station, Charles William Dyball, station master

A National School was erected om 1855 & os supported by the parishioners; Miss Stimpson, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Catfield Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Catfield postmill and Mill Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Catfield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]