Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Catfield Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Catfield postmill and Mill Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Catfield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Catfield

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 487-488

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

CATFIELD, a large village, in several detached portions, 14 miles N.W. of Norwich, and 3 miles S. by E. of Stalham, has in its parish 739 souls, 176 houses, and 2,393 acres of land, including part of Hickling, and Ludham Broads. The land owners are—Mrs. A. Cubitt, Lord Abergavenny, and the families of Crowe and Barber; the former is lady of the manor of Catfield Hall; and the rest of the parish is in the out-soke manor of Sutton. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a gothic edifice, built about the year 1440. In 1852, the whole of the pews were re-arranged, by which means 145 additional sittings were obtained, of which 123 are unappopropriated [sic], and free for the use of the poor for ever. The expense was defrayed by grants and subscriptions. At the same time the church was repaired and otherwise improved at the expense of the rector. In the chancel are several monuments to the Cubitt and other families ; and a handsome marble tablet to the memory of Lieut. Thos. Cubitt, 49 B.N.I. (third son of Lieut. Col. Cubitt, R. A.) who on the 12th of September, 1S48[sic], at the age of 24, met a soldier's death from a musket shot, received while gallantly in action with the enemy before Moultan. The living is a discharged rectory and vicarage united, and valued in the King's book at £7 10s. The patronage is vested, alternately, in the bishop of Norwich, and the Rev. B. L. Cubitt ; and enjoyed by the Rev. B. L. Cubitt, B.A., who resides in the rectory-house — a new building erected in 1852. There are 21a. 3r. 11p. of glebe, and the tithes are commuted for £606. Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, and a National school was built in 1853. The poor have 4a. 22p. of land, let for £8, and the interest of £43 arising from the sale of five tenements. The poor's allotment, 57a. 9p., was awarded at the enclosure in 1802.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Catfield Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Catfield postmill and Mill Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Catfield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]