CAVENHAM is a parish and village on the Icknield Way, 3 miles north from Saxham station on the Cambridge, Newmarket and Bury St. Edmunds branch of the Great Eastern railway, 5 south-east from Mildenhall, 7 west-north-west from Bury, and 70 by road from London in the Western division of the county, Lackford hundred, Mildenhall union and county court district, Fordham rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry, and Ely diocese. The church of St. Andrew, is a small ancient Gothic building of rubble and stone, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and square tower containing 5 bells: the church was thoroughly restored in 1870. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a discharged vicarage, present yearly value £113, arising from 𧴜, rent of300 acres of land, alloted in lieu of vicarial ithes, and interestb of £400 Royal Bounty, in the gift of the lord Chancellor, and held since 1845 by the Rev. Thomas William Carwardine M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. There a charity, left by W. Fermage, which produced £1 a year; also two plots of land in the parishes of Rickinghall and Thelnetham, yearly value about £15, for the repairs of the church. Cavenham Heath extends to the river Lark, which is navigable on the north of this parish, where it is crossed by a snall wooden bridge, called Temple bridge, and the parish is watered by one of its tributary brooks. Cavenham Hall, the seat of Harry Spencer Waddingfotn esq. J.P. is a modern brick bilding, situated in a small park. Capt. W. F. G. Farmer is lord of the manor; and H. S. Waddington esq. and Trinity College, Cambridge are the chief landowners. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil chalk. The chief crops are rye, barley and wheat. The area is 3,500 acres; rateable value, £988; the population in 1881 was 186.
POST OFFICE. John Hammond, receiver. Letters by foot post through Soham, viâ Mildenhall, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, Letters dispatched at 5.30 p.m.
School, erected in 1871 for 40 children, average attendance, 27 (supported pricipally by H. S. Waddington, esq.); Mrs. Mary Ann Lomax, mistress
Local village web-site
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page