1891 Census Names Index
Chedgrave Baptisms, 1813-1880 [Local Project]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Chedgrave Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Chedgrave [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Chedgrave

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.274.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

CHEDGRAVE is a parish and village on the bank of the river Chet, or Ket, adjoining Loddon, 9 miles south-east from Norwich, 5 miles soth-east of Buckenham station, on the Norwich and Yarmouth railway, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay and Beccles county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a small ancient structure in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, and square thatched tower with 1 bell: its windows contain some rich specimens of stained glass, and the arches and the doors are fine specimens of Norman architecture. The register dates from the year 1501. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge 219 with house and 6 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Reginald Proctor-Beauchamp bart. and held since 1853 ny the Rev. Henry Alfred Barrett of St. John's College. Cambridhe. who is also vicar of Langley. The chief landowners are Sir Reginald William Proctor-Beauchamp, bart. who is also lord of the manor, The Master of St. Petr's College, Cambridge. for the time being, and J. Wilson Gilbert esq,: Colonel William Herring occupies the Manor House. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,432 acres; rateable value, 2,441; the population in 1881 was 368.


Letters received through Norwich. Loddon is the neaest money order & telegraph office

National School, for 69 children average attendance 48; & a teacher's residence, erected in 1856, with the aid of a grant of 326 from the Committeee of Council of Education; Miss Annie Brown, mistress M.A. Rectory Fraser Capt. George
Herring Colonel William, Manor House
Hoddy Edgar
Matthews Rev. John Henry B.A. [curate]
Armsby Joseph, well sinker
Baldwin William, cooper
Balls Henry, tailor
Branch Robt. watch maker & shopkpr
Crisp Charles & John, bricklayers
Earl James, tinman & brazier
Garrood Charles John, grocer & linen drpr
Goff Johnson, shopkeeper
Hoddy James, carpenter, wheelwright & blacksmith
Snelling Samuel, boot & shoe maker
Tibbenham Edward, farmer
Turner George, White Horse

Transcription © Copyright E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2009; spelling corrections, Jan 2010; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Chedgrave Baptisms, 1813-1880 [Local Project]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Chedgrave Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Chedgrave postmill [Jonathan Miller]
More on Chedgrave [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page