1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Claxton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Claxton smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Claxton [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information on Claxton [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Claxton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.274.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

CLAXTON is a village and parish 7 miles east from Norwich, 5 miles south-east from Buckenham station, on the Norwich and Yarmouth railway, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is of a debased style of architecture, and consists of chancel, nave, square tower containing three bells, and south porch: the nave is thatched and the chancel tiled, the latter having been rebuilt by the trustees of Sir CharLes H.Stuart Rich bart, then a minor: it contains one interesting tomb, with inscription, belonging to the Gawdy family, and a tablet to the late incumbent, the Rev. Stephen Webste., The early registers have long since been lost; the earliest preserved dates from the year 1747. The living is a limited rectory, yearly value 60, with an augmentation of 6 acres of land lying in Bracon Ash (a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty), in the gift of Sir Charles H. Stuart Rich bart. and held since 1862 by the Rev. George Gilbert M.A. of Emmanuel College. Cambridge. The Baptists have a chapel here, with burial ground of old standing. The poor's land consists of 6A. 3r the glebe of 3A. 3R. and there is a town estate of 5 acres for support of the church. A market and fair were anciently held here. The manor-house, now occupied as a farm-house (near which are the remains of a castellated manor house), is the property of Sir Charles H. Stuart Rich bart. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Other landowners are Benedict Chapman esq. and the Rev. George Gilbert. The soil is mixed loam; subsoil. gravel with marshes adjoining the river Yare. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 981 acres; reateable value, 1,362; the population in 1881 was 204.


Letters through & & Thurton. Loddon is the nearest money order & telegraph office. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 2.30 p.m.

National School, erected in 1848; teacher's residence added in 1857; Mrs. Strachan, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2009; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Claxton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Claxton smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Claxton [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information on Claxton [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page