CLENCHWARTON is a village, parish and station on the Lynn and Sutton Bridge railway, 2 miles west from Lynn by ferry and 3 by road, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union of Wisbech, county court district of Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient structure, and consists of chancel and nave, with an embattled tower containing 5 bells: there are two stained windows and a fine organ. The register dates from the year 1720. The living is rectory, net yearly value £435 with 32 acres of glebe, and held since 1870 by the Rev. John James Webster Harris M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The charities amount to £5 yearly. The Methodist New Connexion and Primitive Methodists have places of worship here. The salt marshes of this parish extend to the Wash, between Terrington and North Lynn. The Islington Lodge estate, which was reclaimed from land formerly part of the bed of the river Ouse, and was purchased by the present owner, W. D. Harding, from the Eau Brink Commissioners in 1850, extends into this parish. Richard Bagge esq. D.L. J. B. Monck, esq. the Duke of Portland, James Hannel Maher, Wm. Looker and John Wellingham esqrs. Are the principal landowners. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, loamy. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, peas &c. and some land is in pasture. The area is 3,070 acres; rateable value, £5,736; and the population in 1881 was 668.
POST OFFICE. Mrs, Ann Sutton, receiver. Letters arrive from Lynn at 7 a.m. & 12.10 noon; dispatched 1.15 p.m. & 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Lynn.
Surveyor of Roads, Edward Fox
National School, built in 1846, John Burley, master; Mrs. John Burley, mistress
Railway Station, Frederick Boltzs, station master
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, March 2004; links updated May 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854 Directory entry
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Domesday Book entry
Local information [anyweb.co.uk]
Clenchwarton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Clenchwarton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Clenchwarton [GENUKI-NFK}
And see Marshland St. James