CLIPPESBYis a parish 3 miles from the Martham station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, extending to the river Bure, 13 north-east from Norwich, 9 north-west from Yarmouth, in the Northern division of the county, the incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, and Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is an old stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, round tower and 1 bell: it contains two ancient brasses, one to the Clippesby family, and two Norman doors: in 1875 the church was restored, and the tower raised 60 feet. The register dates from the year 1737. The living is a rectory, yearly value £246, with 3 acres of glebe. inthe gift of and held by the Rev. Henry Joseph Muskett M.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. Clippesby House, the seat of the Rev. Henry Joseph Muskett M.A. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a handsome white brick mansion, pleasantly situated on rising ground, with commanding prospects over a large extent of country. The soil is light loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 861 acres; rateable value, £1,675; and the population in 1881 was 123.
Letters through Yarmouth. Martham & Acle are the nearest money order & telegraph offices
Transcription © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, March 2009; links updated December 2013.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fleggburgh (& Clippesby) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Clippesby postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Clippesby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page