1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Banningham with Colby Archeology [English Heritage Explorer]
More on Colby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Colby

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.276.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

COLBY is a parish and village 3½ miles north-east from Aylsham station on East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway and 3 miles from Aylsham Town station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Giles is a structure of flint in the Perpendicular style, and has chancel, nave and south porch: the east window is Decorated, with some handsome specimens of ancient stained glass, selected by the Rev. George Colby, a former rector, who also presented the altar piece, representing Moses and Aaron: the font is beautifully carved with figures of the Evangelists: there are three memorial tablets to the Colby family and three to the Roper family. The register dates from the year 1554. The living is a rectory, with 7 acres of glebe and residence, the tithes commuted at £361 16s. yearly, in the gift of Lord Suffield and held since 1870 by the Rev. Edward Maynard Goslett B.A., LL.D. of Trinity College, Dublin. Richard Snelling of Colby, yeoman, left £1 to be distributed among the aged poor, every Christmas day, and £1 10s. every Easter day to clothe four poor children of the parish, and charged two closes of his land in the north field of Colby to secure the payment of the lagacies. Lord Suffield is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,101A. 3R. 25P.; rateable value, £1,871 10s.; the population in 1881 was 241.

_____

Letters through Norwich, viâ Aylsham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

This parish is contributory to the Felmingham United School Board district, sending one member.

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 1999; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Banningham with Colby Archeology [English Heritage Explorer]
More on Colby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page