COLDHAM is an eccesiastical parish, formed in 1874 from part of the civil parish of Elm, formerly included in Fridaybridge. 7 miles south of Wisbech, 3 south-west from Fridaybridge, and 4 north from March. The district includes PEAR TREE HILL, COLDHAM, STAGSHOLT and GRAYSMOOR, and extends to within 2 miles of March. The church of St. Ethelreda, a building of stone, in the Early English style, was completed in 1876 at a cost of £2,700; it consists of chancel and nave, with a porch on the south side and vestry on the north: the internal fittings are of oak, and there is a stained window on the south side of the chancelsubject St. Ethelreda. The living is a vicarage, nett yearly value £250, in the gift of the Crown and Bishop of Ely alernately and held since 1882 by the Rev. Arthur Hervey Kearney. Lord Overstone is the principal landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil clay The chief crops are grass, wheat, barley, oats, potatoes and brown and white mustard. The area is 4,460 acres,and the population in 1881 was 335.
Public Elementary School, Miss S. A. Green, mistress
Railway Station, Coldham. Andrew Jesse Gladwin, station master
Kearney Rev. Arthur Henry [vicar], Vicarage
Little Herbert John [professor of agriculture, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester], Coltham hall
Little William Cutlack J.P. Stagsholt
Reed Miss, Graysmoor
Amps Mary (Mrs.), postmistress
Brown George, farmer, Pear Tree house
Burdock James farmer
Church George, Overstone Arms, Pear Treehill
Humphrey Carrol, farmer, Percival ho
Murfitt Edward, farmer, White house
Sculthorpe Isaac, farm bailiff to W. C. Little esq. J.P.
Southwell William, farm bailiff to Col. Lancelot Reed, Graysmoor
Tagg William, farm bailiff to Herbert J. Little esq.
Information on Elm [Alan Gresley]
Elm Genealogical information [Forebears]
More on Coldham [GENUKI}
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page