COLKIRK is a parish about 2 miles south from Fakenham station, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, union of Mitford and Launditch, county court district of East Dereham, rural deanery of Toftrees and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich: the village is situated on a height, commanding a fine prospect. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a small plain Gothic building of flint consisting of chancel, nave and north aisle, and tower with 5 bells, and contains memorials to the Timperley and other families: there are several stained windows. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, consolidated with Oxwick, joint yearly value £800, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1868 by the Rev. Walter Marsham Hoare M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. The charities amount to £30 yearly, principally for fuel. The Marquis Townshend is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, turnips and barley. The area is 1,482 acres; rateable value, £2,508; and the population in 1881 was 431.
Parish Clerk, William Smith.
POST OFFICE.— William Thompson, receiver. Letters through Fakenham, the nearest money order office.
National School, Miss H. Harrold, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, March 2000; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Colkirk postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Colkirk [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page