COLKIRK, a small scattered village and parish, 2½ miles S. of Fakenham, has 96 houses, 464 souls, and 1,309 acres of land, exclusive of about 110a. in open common. The Marquis of Townshend owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor and patron of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, and is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £10, and in 1831 at £805. It has been enjoyed since 1816 by the Rev. Ralph Tatham, D.D. The poor have £7 a year from 8a. 2r. 15p. of land given by unknown donors; and the Crown public house, and 2a. of land let for £23 a year, purchased with £100, left by Saml. Collison, in 1764 ; and £20 derived from the sale of land left by John Holland, in 1636 : the public house was rebuilt in 1827, at the cost of £324. The poor have also 52s. a year, left by Thos. Carryan, and 3s. 4d. from Dunham's Charity.
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
1891 Census Names Index
Colkirk postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Mitford & Launditch union
More on Colkirk [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Paddy's Home Page