COLTISHALL ia a parish, small town and station on the branch of the East Norfolk Western Extension railway from Wroxham to Aylsham. The town is of some antiquity, on the high road between Norwich and North Walsham, 7 north from Norwich, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth. archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich: it is pleasantly situated on slightly elevated ground, within a semicircular bend on the left bank of the Bure. The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of flint and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle and north porch, and an embattled tower nearly 70 feet high, containing a clock presented by R. A. Gorrell esq. in 1877, having rude figures curiously worked in the stone surrounding the western door and within the embattlements; there are 6 bells and a good tuned organ : the church was restored in 1865 by subscription, at a cost of £900, and the chancel was restored at the same time by the late rector, the Rev. Joseph Thackeray, who also built the parsonage house in this parish and that of Horstead, and has three stained glass windows. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, recently consolidated with Gt. Hautbois; the tithes of this parish have been commuted for £218 yearly, with residence and 12 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1880 by the Rev. John Colk Girling M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, who resides at Great Hautbois. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Methodist New Connexion and United Methodist Free Church. The only charitable bequest is one by John Chapman, merchant, in 1718, of £10 yearly for the education of ten poor boys, augmented by a further donation of about £10 5s. a year, left in 1815 by Dr. Charles Grape, formerly rector of Coltishall; these charities are now made over to the School Board. There are several extensive malting houses, and a considerable trade is carried on in malt, corn, coals, ale and other articles. A fair is held here on Whit-Monday. Henry III. in 1231 granted a charter to the town, conferring several privileges on the inhabitants. Coltishall Hall, the seat of Richard Rogers, esq. M.A., J.P. is a handsome mansion, situated near the centre of the village, and commands a fine view of the surrounding country, also of the river Bure. King's College, Cambridge, who are lords of the manor, Geo. W. Danby-Palmer esq. J.P. who resides at the Priory, Hanworth, and Mrs. Burroughes, are the chief landowners. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips &c. The area is 1,180 acres; rateable value, £3,763 2s. 6d.; and the population in 1881 was 952.
POST & MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank. Sub-Office letters should have S. O. Norfolk added.John Curzon Thurgar, postmaster. Letters arrive from Norwich & London at 5 a.m. & 2.15 p.m. & are dispatched thereto at 12.30 a.m. and 5.30 p.m.
A National School was erected by subscription in 1845, assisted by a parliamentary grant, but has been transferred to the School Board; it was enlarged in 1874.
Board School. William Harper, master; Mrs. Elizabeth J. Harper, mistress
Railway Station, William Francus Storey, station master
CARRIERS TO NORWICH.William Thurston, to the "George & Dragon," Haymarket, mon. wed. fri. & sat. returns same days; William Edwards, to the York tavern, Castle hill, mon, wed, & sat. 9 a.m. returns same days
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009; a correction and links updated January 2011.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Coltishall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Coltishall [GENUKI-NFK]