Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
About Norfolk web pages [Judi Ingram]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Coltishall [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Coltishall

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 421-422

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002]

COLTISHALL, a considerable village, pleasantly situated on the east bank of the Bure, 7 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich ; has a fair on Whit-Monday ; and an extensive trade in malt, corn, and ale, &c. The parish contains 206 houses, 907 souls, and 1,129 acres of land, of which upwards of 900a. are arable, and about 40a. in woods and plantations. The soil is the property of a number of proprietors; the largest of whom are Wm. Burroughes, Esq., of Coltishall hall, a neat mansion on a woody acclivity, and R. P. Kemp, Esq., of the manor-house. The houses at the west end of the village are in the parish of Great Hautbois. Henry III. granted by letters patent, in 1231, "to all men, women, and children born, or to be born, in this village of Coltishall, freedom from all villianage of body and blood ; and from toll, stallage, picage, and paunage, in all fairs and markets throughout England:" and that "all frays, transgressions, bargains, quarrels, and suits concerning the said town of Coltishall, should be determined twice every year, before the King's officers at the leets there." Henry VI. conveyed all his rights, in this manor, to King's College, Cambridge, to which the advowson is still attached. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 2s. 6d. has 29a. 3r. of glebe, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Joseph Thackeray. The tithes are commuted for £340. The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was built in 1283, and consecrated by Wm. Middleton, D.D., bishop of Norwich, on 25th of January, 1284 ; it has a tower 75 feet high, and a peal of six bells. Wesleyans, Wesleyan Reformers, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Free School, with the master's house, was built by the parish, and is endowed with £10 a-year, left by Jno. Chapman, in 1718, for ten free scholars ; and the dividends of £360. three per cent. stock, left by the Rev. Chas. Gape, D.D., in 1815. A National school was built in 1845, by subscriptions, aided by a grant from the government. A road which crossed the lawn of the Hall, was given up in 1782, on condition that the owner should pay 40s. yearly to the poor. Post Office at Ann Francis's ; letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002; links updated December 2009.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
About Norfolk web pages [Judi Ingram]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Coltishall [GENUKI-NFK]