1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Archeology in Marlingford (and Colton) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Colton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Colton, NY, USA
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Colton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 277-278.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

COLTON is a village and parish, 6 miles north-west from Wymondham station, and 8 west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small flint building, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave. A square embattled tower containing 3 bells, and a porch on the north side : the interior was thoroughly repaired in 1852, and filled with stained windows; and organ with 12 stops was added at a cost of £250, the whole expense being defrayed by the late John Daveney esq. who left £550 invested in £3 per Cents. the interest to be applied as a salary to the organist : a new pulpit has since been added, on which a brass plate records that it was "Presented to the parish of Colton by C. Sugden esq. as a tribute of affection and regard for the Rev. H. W. Turner, the rector, 1877, the Rev. H. W. Turner gave the brass lantern and defrayed the cost of re-seating the chancel: in the church are several monuments of the Daveney family; there are also monuments to Mr. & Mrs. Jeremiah Ives, and to the families of Seaborne, Powley and Vincent The register dates from the year 1543. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge £305, with 50 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1877 by the Rev. Henry Whitelock Turner M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge: a rectory house was built in 1874, at a cost of £1,000. The fuel allotment of 10 acres produces £19 yearly, which is given to the poor in coals. This place is in the manor of Costessey, of which Lord Stafford D.L, J.P. is lord. Ferdinand Ives esq. Mr. Stephen Hipkin, of Honingham, and the trustees of the late Major-General Daveney, are the chief landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, hay, turnips and mangled. The area is 911 acres; rateable value £1,699; and in 1881 the population was 255.

POST OFFICE.— George Grand, receiver. Letters received from Norwich at 5.45 a.m.; dispatched at 5.5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Barnham Broom & telegraph office at Mattishall.
A school was built here in the year 1855, at a cost of £250, for boys & girls, & is supported partly by grant from Government, £5 from the Rev, Henry Rix's charity & a voluntary rate of 2d. In the pound; Miss Martha Ann Matthews, mistress
CARRIER TO NORWICH.— James Claxton, passes through on wednesday & saturday

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, September 2004; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Archeology in Marlingford (and Colton) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Colton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Colton, NY, USA
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page