COLTON, a pleasant village 8 miles W. of Norwich, has in its parish 56 houses, 241 souls, and 900 acres of land, the property of Capt. Ives, and J. Daveney, Esq., but forming part of the manor of Costessey. The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has been new roofed, thoroughly repaired in the interior, and all the windows beautified with stained glass, by John Daveney, Esq., at an expense of £300. The reparations were completed in 1852, and it is now considered one of the most beautiful churches in the county. There are several ancient monuments and tablets to the Daveney family. The rectory, valued in the King's books at £6 9s. 6d., and in 1831, at £365, was augmented in 1728 with £200, Queen Anne's bounty. The patronage is in the Crown. Rev. Henry Girdlestone is the incumbent, and Rev. Henry Daveney, officiating curate. A house and 3 acres of land in Colton, and 2½ acres in Barnham Broom, let for about £3 a year, were purchased with £60, left by the Rev. Henry Rix, in 1726; of the rent, 13s. 4d. is paid for land tax ; £1 11s. for a fee farm rent; 10s. expended in bread; 10s. for a sermon, and 1s. to the clerk ; the residue is applied towards the support of a school, the teacher of which has £5 a year, left by Eliz. Brown, in 1732; £5 from the National Society, and a few pounds yearly, raised by voluntary subscriptions. The poor have 20s. a year, left by Jas. Scaborne in 1704. The Fuel allotment, 10 acres, awarded at the enclosure in 1801, is let for £17 5s. a year, and distributed in coals.
1891 Census Names Index
Archeology in Marlingford (and Colton) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Colton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Colton, NY, USA
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page