COLVESTON is a parish 6 miles north from Brandon station, and 10 south-by-west from Swaffham, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, union and county court district of Swaffham, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Virgin Mary has been dilapidated for many years, and the remains of the foundations are only visible. The living is a rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Didlington, joint yearly value £200, from tithe rent charge, with 114 acres of glebe, in the gift of William Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq M.P. and held since 1876 by the Rev. Henry Ray B.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who is also rector of and resides at Cranwich. W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P. is lord of the manor and farms the land; the land formerly belonged to Lord Berners. The soil is light sandy; subsoil, chalk and sand. The chief crops are rye, barley and turnips. The area is 861 acres; rateable value, £386 10s.; and the population in 1881 was 44. Letters through Mundford Railway Sub-Office by foot post. Mundford is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1863 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
More on Colveston [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page