Coney Weston, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Weston Coney [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Coney Weston

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.855.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

CONEY WESTON is a village and parish 7 miles south-east from Thetford railway station, 6 north from Ixworth, 8 north-west from Botesdale and 12 north-east from Bury St. Edmunds, in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn hundred, Thetford union and county court district, Blackbourn rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry of Sudbury and Ely diocese. The church of St. Mary is a small flint building, with thatched roof: it consists of a chancel and nave, the tower having fallen many years since. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of with that of Barningham, joint yearly commuted value £967, with 26 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. James Edwards M.A. and held since 1876 by the Rev. Arthur William Edwards M.A. of University College, Oxford, who resides at Barningham. Coney Weston Hall, the seat of Miss Bridgman, is a white brick building, situated in a small park. Miss Bridgman, who is lady of the manor, and Thomas Thornhill esq. M.P., J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,321 acres; rateable value £2,119; the population in 1881 was 198.


Letters through Bury St. Edmunds by messenger from Ixworth arrive at 2.30 a.m. LETTER BOX cleared at 4 p.m. No post on sundays. Hopton is the nearest money order office & Thetford is the nearest telegraph office.

The school is supported by Miss Bridgman; Miss Morelle, mistress

CARRIER TO BURY.—William Brothers, saturday

Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014

More on Weston Coney [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page