1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Congham postmill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Congham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Congham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Congham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.278.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

CONGHAM is a village and parish 7 miles east-north-east from Lynn, 2 from Grimston Road railway station and 1½ from Hillington station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient structure of stone and flint, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a square embattled tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from—christenings, from 1580; marriages, from 1581; burials, from 1580. The living is a consolidated rectory, the rent charge in lieu of tithes is £550, with good residence, and 30A. 1R. 17P. of glebe, in the gift of the representatives of the late John Roper esq. and held by the Rev. Richard Haking MUS.D. of Hertford College,Oxford. The poor have an interest of £10 left by John Bailey in 1712. Sir Henry Spelman, the famous antiquary, was born here in 1564. Lieut. Arthur Elves R.N. is lord of the manor, and R. C. F. Elsden-Everard esq. J.P. and Sir William H. B. ffolkes bart. M.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is light sand; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips, mangold-wurzels and grass. The area is 2,850 acres; rateable value, £2,769; the population in 1881 was 331.

Letters through Lynn. Hillington is the nearest money order & telegraph office. WALL BOX cleared at 5.30 p.m.; sundays at 12.30 p.m.

A National school was erected in the year 1844; James Browne, master; a sunday school is held in the day school-room

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Congham postmill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Congham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Congham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page